lights please help

kriskatatstrophic

Reefing newb
okay so i originally ordered 2 36" 78wat light fixtures from aquatraders.com upon my ordering i received a message saying they were out of stock and i could substitute my order with 156 watt 36" light i asked if there was going to be an adjustment in price they said" yes their will be a change in price because you are ordering a different item we have voided your transaction because we feel it not right to hold your money when we dont have the item in stock thank you" they haunt responded sense. so i decided to take my business else where this light isn't the 156 watts i wanted but it is 78 watts with individual reflectors

Aquarium Lighting for Freshwater and Reef Systems: Nova Extreme Compact SLR T-5 Fixtures

is this worth the price? what can i keep with this light

what about this fixture any beter the same worse?
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem.aspx?idproduct=CU01136&idCartRow=20351971&isKit=0&child=CU01125

Last edited:
I don't understand what they did wrong?Why would you order two fixtures with two bulbs and not one fixture with four bulbs,like the rep suggested you change to anyways.

The first is the newer version of the second link.The top has individual reflectors and the bottom has a single parabolic reflector.Go with first,I still say it limits you to only soft corals.

i ordered two fixtures because their site said they were out of stock of the 4 bulb one
then after i placed my order they went out of stock for the two bulb ones
they emailed me asking if i would replace my order of two 78w, because the item had just went out of stock,with the one 156w , which their site said was out of stock,
i asked if there was going to be a change in price they said yes and voided my transaction for the two fixtures and have not responded to multiple emails sense

what are you planning to keep?

Those lights wont do you much good besides mushrooms and some softies. maybe search for something a little better?

whats your budget and side of fixture you need?

I understand now.

I also think in the long run you should go with a 4 bulb fixture with individual reflectors.You can go with the Current(2 bulb) you linked to above but it will limit you in what you can keep.

i agree with reef. maybe you can find something on craigslist?

I have seen some great deals on there for $100 for MH setups. maybe you can find something

so i should just wait on ordering lights for now? im attempting to set up a sump i came across a free ten gallon tank to use for one my only other option would be a 20xh i only have 27" x 15" to work with under my stand and i still want rrom for food nd stuff so a ten works perfect wht else should i buy with around 90-100$

i have looked on craiglist and one i can never find what i want on there and two nobody is ever selling what i want its quite frustrating

i say hold on to the money til you have a little more and can spend just a tad bit more to get a better light fixture.

the two main things that hold people back from getting certain livestock are size of tank and lighting. those are 2 things you want to get right the first time or you will end up spending more money in the long run.

setting up the tank right the first time makes life a heck of a lit easier later on. so make sure you do all your plumbing good and your sump how you want it before filling it, It sure makes a headache when you want to change something later on. If you have no coral, then no rush on the lights. Even fish dont really need a whole lot of light. Take your time and get what you need for what you want to do in the future.

the light was for my dt i was talking about my sump i dont know why i got distracted but ill hold the money for now i want a fair amount of corals so ill get good lights but i still dont want spend a fortune on them.. any suggestions im going to guess biffs nova extreme 4 bulbs with individual reflectors haha just messing biff

thats not a bad light. I use the same fixture. I keep sps with it.

THe individual reflectors are a big deal if you want to run the T5 route.

Edit. I was talking about Biffs light.

Last edited:
okay can you guys give me a quick run threw of what i need in a t5 light like what wattage and stuff i know i need individual reflectors. i just want a light that i can keep a wide variety of corals so my tank looks nice

Definitely t5 HO(high output), so thats 39w per bulb on a 36'' fixture.
the more bulbs the merrier, just get individual reflectors, that will reflect the light downward more making the actual light output far greater.

try to aim for at least 4 watts per gallon, with that you can keep a good variety of stuff. maybe sps high in the tank.

The lights I linked to will let you keep almost everything you want. Maybe not clams or anemones, but you could keep SPS up high.

so in my case a minimum of 156 watts with individual reflectors .......side question why do they even sell power compacts everyone on here seams to hate them what do they really do anyway how are they different than a regular Florissant tube

only thing i dont like about the fixture biff is the legs arrant movable i only have a 30-inch tank so the legs wouldn't match up

Back