List of EVERYTHING for a 75 gallon reef tank.

I have a 250 gph koralia on my 110 and it's really lousy, it probably does 10 gph and I almost broke it trying to get the holder on. But then of course, it's only 250 gph. Alright, little fish, fine, I will check out the fish stores. Do you think it's worth taking the hour + drive if I'm not going to buy anything?

I guess I have a good store, they seem pretty fair on most stuff. They sell tanks, light, and bulbs close to cost. Its the fish and coral they get ya on. A small Hippo is $70! BUT, they have a buy one get one half off, so I usually get two frags, for $30. I have a good repoire with them, and once our coarl tanks are up, we'll be stocking dry goods, chemicals, and coral, to ship out.

I have a 250 gph koralia on my 110 and it's really lousy, it probably does 10 gph and I almost broke it trying to get the holder on. But then of course, it's only 250 gph. Alright, little fish, fine, I will check out the fish stores. Do you think it's worth taking the hour + drive if I'm not going to buy anything?

You need to strike a deal with those guys, go in there with a list and ask for a discount....

Well of course it's lousy, that powerhead is made for a tank much much smaller, I've got them in my 28g.

It depends is finding a good, reliable LFS and saving yourself all those shipping costs worth it to you? When I first got into the I drove up to 3 hours away looking for a good store. Occasionally, I'll still drive an hour and a half away to buy coral frags.

I plan on getting 3 powerheads. Should I just leave one on all the time and get the duo wave maker?

I would not run the Koralias using a wavemaker. They are extremely unreliable using one. That's how I've got my two 1050;s hooked up in my 75 and a lot of times the koralias don't even switch on. If you're planning on using a wavemaker then you need to buy powerheads designed for it (and if you do that, then you are going to end up paying $4-500 for powerheads).

I dont think i would drive up there just to visit and not plan on buying anything, but if you are in that area for something else then take the time to stop buy. Or next time you need to get food or salt for your current tank, go see what they have to offer.

Or take a marathon day and go visit every lfs you can find. Make a list, write your opinions on it. Ask them questions you already know the answer to see how knowledgeable their employees are.

Buying in bulk? Setting up a tank, they should, I would. If you come in and drop like $1000 I dont see why they cant nock off 10% There's no harm in asking. If they say no, start to walk out. PLUS, they may want you to keep coming into their store for future stuff.

Buying in bulk? Setting up a tank, they should, I would. If you come in and drop like $1000 I dont see why they cant nock off 10% There's no harm in asking. If they say no, start to walk out. PLUS, they may want you to keep coming into their store for future stuff.

I wouldn't be buying everything at once though...

Or take a marathon day and go visit every lfs you can find. Make a list, write your opinions on it. Ask them questions you already know the answer to see how knowledgeable their employees are.

I think that's what I'll do...

Don't you think it's better to buy dry stuff online since they tend to have free shipping? The shipping is all from the fish and stuff.

If you get free shipping yes. The point here is the shipping on fish and Coral is going to make you waste a lot of money, so you need a relationship with a store near you. Maybe in a few years you can open your own store in your area, since they seem to need one.

Yes, but it never hurts to see what their prices are. Every now and then you will a major deal. For me, i know there is one store that sells the koralia powerheads for what i can get them for online.

For most online livestock places, they'll give you free shipping if you order above a certain amount. Try and combine your purchases so you can qualify for free shipping on livestock and dry goods.

Quote: Originally Posted by BL1
That's how I've got my two 1050;s hooked up in my 75 and a lot of times the koralias don't even switch on.

Why?

Because they're not designed to have the power to them constantly switched on and off. Koralias especially are notorious for spinning in reverse if they're turned on and off.

Got to follow your dreams! If you hate your job it will impact your personal life. Take that from someone who is far away from 16!

Thats no joke, if your area needs one, it would do well. If you saw a price list on fish and corals wholesale you'd :pooh: ! Hippo tang for $16! Frags at $5 ! See the mark up?

Its the rule of three's, one for the fish, one for loss, one for the store, and 10 bucks for me = 58 for a 16 dollar Tang. Thats why you need to know these guys in the store are making money, even if they act like they aren't. So 10% off an order is no problem of the sale leeds to more sales.

Back