List of EVERYTHING for a 75 gallon reef tank.

My father already hates the idea of me setting up a tank. Now I'm going to tell him that I want to open up a fish store!!!:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

My father already hates the idea of me setting up a tank. Now I'm going to tell him that I want to open up a fish store!!!:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Tell him you could be doing drugs or drinking with that money! Thats what i tell my folks! This is keeping you out of trouble :D

This hobby is more expensive than a drug habit. If I knew then what I know now, I probably would have just turned to crack and saved myself some money! :lol:

Got to follow your dreams! If you hate your job it will impact your personal life. Take that from someone who is far away from 16!

Thats no joke, if your area needs one, it would do well. If you saw a price list on fish and corals wholesale you'd :pooh: ! Hippo tang for $16! Frags at $5 ! See the mark up?

Its the rule of three's, one for the fish, one for loss, one for the store, and 10 bucks for me = 58 for a 16 dollar Tang. Thats why you need to know these guys in the store are making money, even if they act like they aren't. So 10% off an order is no problem of the sale leeds to more sales.

Pretty much, my LFS said that they LOST $30,000 last year running their store. The guy told me that if they didn't do tank maintenance and tank setups as well they would have went out of business last year.

Gee, I'm only 12, I have plenty of time to develop a drug problem...:Buds::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: :nono:

So does that seem like a good list? My father said I'll need a calcium reactor and a magnesium something?

Highly unlikely you will need those things. Doing regular water changes should be enough to keep those in check. And if you do have to dose, there are easier ways than a calcium reactor to do it.

Can you phone the website your ordering off, see if you can strike a shipping deal??? Never know, they may just do that. Always worth trying.

Can you phone the website your ordering off, see if you can strike a shipping deal??? Never know, they may just do that. Always worth trying.

I would be ordering from liveaquaria. If this place is as big as it's supposed to be then I'll be able to get everything I'll need there.

From reading the reviews it seems that they have a good selection but lousy advisers. I know what to do so I won't listen to them.

impossible to say, depends on how much and what you order. They have prices on their site, build your crew and price it out.

I meant the custom clean up crew. I want a strong one...

Does this sound better? (all fish and inverts are estimates of how much they might cost at the fish store)

75 gallon tank with overflow, cabinet stand, sump, and return pump - $400 + $50 shipping

RO/DI filter - $138

150 Pounds Key Largo Dry Rock - $319
160 Pounds (not going to use it all) Bahama Argonite Dry Sand - $109

Reef Octopus Extreme xs-160 - $299.99

Odyssea 48" metal hallide light - $239

Fish Acclimation Kit - $2.99
300W Heater $25
VeggieMag - $14.99
3X Hydro Koralia Evolution Pumps 1050 - $54.99

Cleaner Crew from Reefcleaners.org - don't know how much it's going to cost.

Coral rx (8oz.) - $17.99

Diamond Watchman Goby - $30
2X Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp (medium) - $40
Brittle Sea Star, Fancy - $15
Porcelain Crab - $20

Tail Spot Blenny - $25
Blue Tuxedo Urchin (medium) $15

Foxface Lo (small) - $35
3X Hawaiian Feather Duster - $30

Six Line Wrasse - 25
Derasa Clam, 2 to 3 inches - $50

Kole Tang (small) - $35

2X Tank-Bred Occelaris Clownfish (small) - $40

Bubble Tip Anemone (medium) - $25

Total: $2005.95 + $50 shipping

It still seems a bit high. Any more suggestions?

I bet you could find a used tank for much cheaper, and i dont think you need to spend that much on sand. You dont need the acclimation kit, just get plastic tubing from petco for .99 cents.

I would also get two heaters, each rated for halfish your tank volume.

I think I have a third of the "recommended" clean up crew for my tank and I dont really see the need for anything more. I dont know where they come up with those ridiculous numbers from. There is no way I need a ton of crabs and snails in my opinion.

I would recommend buying just a few things at a time as needed other wise they just starve unless you offer additional food for them which is kind of pointless.

75 gallon tank with overflow, cabinet stand, sump, and return pump - $400 + $50 shipping

RO/DI filter - $138

150 Pounds Key Largo Dry Rock - $319
75 pounds Sand - $75

Reef Octopus Extreme xs-160 - $299.99

Odyssea 48" metal hallide light - $239

Fish Acclimation Kit - $0.99
2X 150W Heater (why the two? It adds $20) - $45
Algae Clip - $5
3X Hydro Koralia Evolution Pumps 1050 - $54.99

Moderate cleaner crew (instead of strong) - $50 or so

Coral rx (8oz.) - $17.99

Diamond Watchman Goby - $30
2X Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp (medium) - $40
Brittle Sea Star, Fancy - $15
Porcelain Crab - $20

Tail Spot Blenny - $25
Blue Tuxedo Urchin (medium) $15

Foxface Lo (small) - $35
3X Hawaiian Feather Duster - $30

Six Line Wrasse - 25
Derasa Clam, 2 to 3 inches - $50

Kole Tang (small) - $35

2X Tank-Bred Occelaris Clownfish (small) - $40

Bubble Tip Anemone (medium) - $25

Total: $2029.95 + $50 shipping

Last edited:
Check out www.reefshops.com
I bought my lights from them and am super happy with them. You'll want to change the bulbs eventually though when you get coral.

Also, are you going to try and save some money buying second hand?

Last edited:
Check out www.reefshops.com
I bought my lights from them and am super happy with them. You'll want to change the bulbs eventually though when you get coral.

Also, are you going to try and save some money buying second hand?

I've heard that the bulbs aren't the best but are they that bad? What do you suggest I get used? I've looked on Craig's list for powerheads and rocks.

Back