List of EVERYTHING for a 75 gallon reef tank.

Well for me in calgary, kijiji is a way better site than craigslist, don't know why but maybe try checking that out.

I used the bulbs for about a year and was pretty satisfied, but now that I'm getting into more LPS and possibly into some SPS coral I've upgraded.

There's always people getting out of the hobby here so I've picked up a lot of stuff for cheap. Powerheads, heaters, pumps, skimmers, live rock etc. you can get at pretty much clearance price.

You can easily burn those bulbs while your tank gets going, until you add coral. Once you do, you can even, and I think, better to change the bulbs one at a time, one per week or so. This way the coarls dont get light shock. You want to light acclimate also, corals, I mean.

I had a Current fixture, and then got a TEK, I wont say why. But I can tell you the TEK reflectors deliver almost one third more lumens than the other light. I was amazed at the difference in Quality of the light as well. IMO.

If the light comes with bulbs they are probably ok, all people are saying is that once you get going with corals, after a few months, you should upgrade your bulbs. Current fixtures come with bulbs, they are so-so bulbs. They shoould be changed out once you get some corals. They probably would be ok with low light stuff, zoos, shrooms, leathers, some LPS, but once you change your bulbs, you will see the difference. ATI makes a good bulb, and there are others. The TEK fixtures do not include bulbs, so you need to buy them right away. I like the TEK fixtures, I have had two Current fixtures and then got a TEK after we started selling them at the store, its made a whole lot better than the Current, and the reflector has got to be seen to be believed. The Current fixture wraps the reflector around each bulb like a lasagne noodle, one big wavy piece of metal, the TEK fixture's reflector is bent at several angles behind the bulb, and throws out a lot more energy from the bulb. They cost about the same, except the Current comes with bulbs, the TEK does not, so if youfigure bulbs, that adds an expense. Its a toss up, but having had two Current fixtures then getting the TEK, I try to save people money and just buy the light straight out. I spent about $500 on light that are now in the attic.....just my own opinion. I wish I listened to the guys with the TEK light, they told me the other were not as good, and I thought otherwise...Once again, its just my opinion.

you could save yourself a few bucks on the dry rock also.. Dont forget dry rock when cycling gains about 15% more weight..you could slim it down to 125 and still end up about 2 ponds per gallon... I know its not alot but a dollar here and there adds up.. :D

you could save yourself a few bucks on the dry rock also.. Dont forget dry rock when cycling gains about 15% more weight..you could slim it down to 125 and still end up about 2 ponds per gallon... I know its not alot but a dollar here and there adds up.. :D

They only sell it as 100 pound boxes and 50 pound boxes...

Here's a quote from Daugherty on here, from a thread.

i have a older one and i have converted most of it to coralife parts as things broke. i have changed the mh ballasts out and most of the pc ballasts are now coralife ballasts. odessya light is the exact same light as the coralife aqualight jsut a way cheaper version. by just looking at them you prob could not tell the difference between them until you opened them up

Here's a quote from Little Fish, (dont yell at me Little Fish for Quoting you)

Im not sure about there new stuff, but i do know that their older stuff is considered junky and prone to overheating. Talk to Cathic if you can find him, i think he just ordered something similar.

Heres a quote from 3Reefs:

I to want to change out my bulbs. The odyssea halides emit a greenish tint to the water and it really dampens the color of your corals. I have the 1072W MH system. I plan to change out the halides to phoenix 14K's and the actinics to UVLs.
If you check the wattage that the odyssea ballasts put out, it is usually around 100-200watts instead of the labeled 250watts. If you get the icecap ballasts, you'd see a significant increase in light intensity. So a full system mod is needed to get the most out of the fixture but it's quite costly.
IMO, just replace the bulbs for now. You'll be happy you did.

I suggest you google whatever you buy, and look for reviews.

Here's a review on the TEK fixture:

Great basic fixture!
featured.png

Installation and OperationInstallation was simple, just put the bulbs in and mount it. I had to purchase the leg kit that goes with it that runs about $65 dollars extra because I could not hang it in my canopy. I really like the two seperate on/off swithches and plugs, it allowed me to run my two outer actinics bulbs independantly from my daylights. I had them on a timer to come on 2 hours before my daylights and turn off 2 hours after.

Performance vs. ExpectationsPerformance is great. The individual reflectors really do a great job of focusing the light into the aquarium.

Value for moneyFor the money it is a nice fixture. You can pay more for a different fixture with moonlights, but overall this was a good value for a basic T5HO fixture.

Customer SupportI purchased my fixture from reefgeek.com, I have not dealt directly with Sunlight Supply, but reefgeek.com's customer service was great. I ordered the fixture and received a call the next day from one of their customer service reps to help me pick out bulbs that would give me the effect I was after and be the most beneficial for my corals.

Liked about itPros:
Sleek design
Runs cool
Very bright
Durable
Dual Ballasts

Didn't likeCons:
It would be nice if they included the protective acrylic lens instead of charging $40 extra for it.
Wish it would have come with legs instead of having to spend another $65 for them.

Overall rating:

5.0Overall satisfaction:

5.0Would consider buying it again:

By 08TRDOFFROAD
Mar 05, 2011

Ask 08TRDOFFROAD a question about this item.
Was this review helpful to you?
yes.png
no.png

Report this review

Price: $0 to $0 Compare Prices
at 0 stores
well worth the money

Installation and Operationeasy to install with the addition of the tank bracket kit
easy operation low maintenance with the addition of the acrylic cover, makes it easy to clean

Performance vs. Expectationsperformed as expected

Value for moneygood value, i bought this light after i allready installed a retrofit kit should of bought this from the beginning

Liked about itlike the clean look of this light
like the dual ballast and being able to run the light on a dusk to dawn set up

Didn't likehad some trouble with installing the bulbs with the reflectors being so close together
could use a fan to help keep things cool specialy after installing the acrylic shield

Overall rating:

5.0Overall satisfaction:

5.0Would consider buying it again:

By chrisd
Dec 18, 2009

Ask chrisd a question about this item.
Was this review helpful to you?
yes.png
no.png

Report this review

Price: $0 to $0 Compare Prices
at 0 stores

It sounds to me that the Odyssea light will need to be upgraded sooner or later. The MH bulbs and the ballasts. So thats a big expense, plus, you have to take the light apart, so, thats up to you.

I dont know if you really want or need MH bulbs. They throw off a lot of heat, and heat is wasted energy in a bulb, thats running up the electric bill. T-5's are the rage with better fixtures, reflectors, and bulbs, to direct the energy down to the water. Mine runs really cool, almost no heat, came with a free lens cover and legs, so I had to buy it. I would get the 4 bulb if it were my tank. NOW I KNOW some people will say otherwise, and I can say this. My friend had a 75 and got the TEK 6 bulb, and it was too bright! He hated it, it was that bright, so he got the 4 bulb, and was really happy with that one. And that is the difference, a four bulb TEK puts out similar lumens to a Current 6 bulb, just because the reflectors are that much better, and the ballasts they come with. Once again, the disclaimer: this is just my opinion after seeing them run side by side.

The bulbs, one has 4 the other has 8, thats the first number. Remeber TEK lights DO NOT come with bulbs, or legs, and you might want the lens cover also. Do not just listen to me, shop around.

Back