Looking for a cheap, decent performing Skimmer

RYknow

Reefing newb
Hey everyone. I'm looking for some recommendations on a good...cheap Protein Skimmer for our new 20 gallon tank. It's going to be a FOWLR. I'll be purchasing 30lbs LR, and 40 lbs LS this coming week.

This ( http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4392+4400&pcatid=4400 ) Skimmer is what I was looking at. I don't know much about it? I figure I could mod it to have an over-flow setup. Since the collection cup is so small (and due to our first flood earlier today) I'd like to do what I could to prevent that from happening. I'm hoping to grab a skimmer for about $100.

Also, I have a Maxi-jet 600 in the tank now. I was going to grab a Maxi 900 for it as well. Too much current? Too little?

Thanks,
-RYknow

I would go with a different one. I had one and it was so so. Not the best but was better then nothing.

I like the looks of the Coralife Skimmer, only cause size is a bit of an issue. Our Emperor 400 takes up most of the available space on the back of the tank.

Anyone here ever used one? I hear they are pretty tricky to adjust. A lot of people say you have to play around with it quite a bit to dial it in.

Another thing I forgot to mention. This tank is setup in our bedroom, so noise is a factor. We need a nice quiet skimmer.

-RYknow

Last edited:
The super skimmers are touchy.But they are great skimmers for the price.
I'm the CSS 65 & 125 on my tank.

I would go with the octo or coralife 65. The seaclone you are looking at has a pretty bad reputation.

Considering size of tank and FOWLR I probably would not even add a skimmer and opt for small frequent water changes.

If you get a good skimmer, you can ditch the emperor 400

I hadn't really thought about getting rid of the emperor all together. I've been checking out this Skimmer a lot ( http://www.cncmarinesupply.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=29 ). I've been wishing I had held out on the Rogue Wave, and just picked this skimmer up for our 90 gallon. Maybe I will pick up this skimmer, and use the Rogue Wave for our 20 gallon. :mrgreen:

I would imagine the Rogue Wave would be MORE then enough for our 20 gallon!

-RYknow

EDIT: Just talked to my g/f about spending $400 on another protein skimmer. That went over real well. lmao! :frustrat: Just looking for opinions. We have a 55 gallon tank. We have the hood, the light, the stand. It would be a complete tank setup. It had SW in it for about a year and a half before upgrading to our 90 gallon. What would be a fair asking price for a complete 55 gallon setup? Obviously without sand, water, or LR. I was hoping for $250- $300, to help fund the skimmer. Is that asking too much?

Last edited:
Considering size of tank and FOWLR I probably would not even add a skimmer and opt for small frequent water changes.

I'd like to avoid frequent water changes if possible. The tank is in our bedroom, and on carpet, so I just don't want to destroy the carpeting in there. Obviously can't avoid all water changes, but if I can cut them down significantly I'll be happy.

-RYknow

Skip the SeaClone. It is probably one of the worst skimmers out there. And as someone else posted, a skimmer is much more effective than an Emperor. If you get a skimmer, you can take off that other filter.

I know many,many people who run nanos without skimmers.You will need to be diligent with water changes though.

I find most nano skimmers junk and good skimmers just way to big for nanos.If you can't fit the small Coralife or Octopus consider no skimmer.Maybe the small Prizm w/surface skimmer could be an option....they are small,better than no skimmers.

If you can't fit the small Coralife or Octopus consider no skimmer.Maybe the small Prizm w/surface skimmer could be an option....they are small,better than no skimmers.

I can EASILY fit either of those skimmers, if I get rid of the Emperor 400. Right now I'm leaning towards getting rid of the Emperor, and just getting another Rogue Wave. Now that I have the Wave dialed in a bit better, I'm much happier with it's performance. :bounce:

I'm hoping to sell off our 55 gallon, with tank, stand, hood, light, and dual Emperor 400's to fund the Skimmer.

-RYknow

Back