ltkenbo's 55 Gallon Rebuild

Yeah I was just thinking about that today, I'll place it up a little higher like under the overflow box or something, it's got a strainer over it too which should help somewhat but yeah I won't put it right down at the bottom.

Alright, so here comes the drilling.

Well first of all here is several pvc fittings I got:

DSC07110.jpg

So here's glass cages:

DSC07115.jpg

That whole warehouse is behind the guys house, it's pretty cool. I got to meet him, he started the company like over 20 years ago. Anyways, I picked up my tank and drove home. They did a good job, they made it the other day when I ordered it, I can smell the fresh silicone.

DSC07116.jpg

DSC07118.jpg

DSC07119.jpg

DSC07120.jpg

DSC07124.jpg

DSC07129.jpg

DSC07131.jpg

DSC07132.jpg

and no that bulkhead is not backwards, that's how is is supposed to go.

Thanks. Here are the returns drilled:

DSC07133.jpg

DSC07136.jpg

I'm still contemplating where exactly I want to drill the closed loop outputs and how many. I'm trying to find pictures of drilled closed loop systems to get some ideas. I'm thinking down near the bottom since powerheads like koralias can remain on top since they tend to suck in debris otherwise which a close loop output and input can remain far apart.

Will a 1/2" bulkhead below the overflow box and 2 1/2" bulkheads for the returns located several inches above the bottom of the tank (on the back) be good for a small closed loop system? Keep in mind I do have a vortech powerhead and 3 koralia 2's also. I figured the closed loop returns near the bottom would help circulation in the bottom of the tank as well as possibly behind the live rock.

Before you actually drill for that closed loop,shoot RyanG a PM.He ran one for a while.

BTW
It's looking good.But whats the paintball mask for? :mrgreen:

Thanks yeah I sent him a PM. I was using the paintball mask for eye protection cause I couldn't find my safety glasses lol.

Ok here is my input on a closed loop, keep it simple and keep it flexible. A single input and two or three returns is PLENTY! Any more than that and its overly complicated. I would keep the returns low on the back wall, you want to create a gyre(if you don't know look it up ;) ) But basically its a cyclical water flow, and you want the water rotating up the front pane of the glass and back across the surface towards the overflow(GREAT choice on the glassholes BTW I love the one I have on my nano)

Use the vortech to disrupt the flow and keep it randomized.

Just my disclaimer on closed loops, if I were to do my 180 over again I would do it either without a closed loop entirely or a MUCH simpler one. They can be cumbersome, take up a lot of room, use a lot of electricity and are typically louder than than powerheads. Im of the opinion that two vortechs on your sized tank would be better than a closed loop but don't let me make up your mind. Build your tank your way.

I would go with a larger intake, Better to have room for too much pump than not enough. Maybe an 1" or even 1.5".

No not yet, I worked all this weekend so I didn't have time but I'll be working some more on the stuff this week. I'll post some more pics soon.

Work? There's on time for work you have a tank to build!:mrgreen:

Lol true that, well the 1.5" bulkhead and strainer arrives today, so I just gotta drill like 2 more .5" bulkhead holes for the rest of the future CL system and then I can paint the back and then hopefully put it up in my room. I installed a light in the other closet the other day and so I'll probably put the one in the fish closet today.

Back