ltkenbo's 55 Gallon Rebuild

Thanks guys. Yeah and I just purchased some corals on ebay today, so I'm gonna have them delivered on Thursday. I got the following:

A favia ($5.50)

1-1_sick_favia.jpg

Green Slimmer Acropora ($10.53)

1-3_grn_slimmer.jpg

Open Brain Coral ($15.55), this one's my favorite

1-13-1_grn_trach.jpg

"Rainbow" Montipora ($17.00)

2-4_rain_monti.jpg

Star polyps ($10.50) I used to have some a long time ago in my first 55 gallon setup but when I was on vacation my crab flipped them over and it killed them.

3-1_gsp.jpg

Shipping is $35 flat rate UPS overnight, so I got all these for a total with shipping of about $95

So apparently the dino's are still here, not as bad as before but they still came back :-(. Anyways, what do you think I should do, a 2 week blackout with kalk drips and then a massive water change? I've got SPS corals now can they deal with a blackout that long?

4 or 5 days blacked out probably wont kill your SPS,but its sure going to piss them off.
I'd about set up a small QT to hold the SPS until the blackout was done.Might even see if your LFS will hold em for a couple of weeks.

Yeah I'm seriously thinking about shutting down my tank and selling all my livestock, I seriously don't have time for this dinoflagalate BS. Been dealing with it over almost a year and its wasting far too much money and time on things that never work and I just feel bad for my fish and corals having all that junk all over them all the time.

I know it may seem useless to keep going, but "without a little struggle, there will be no success". We've all had something cross our path to make us want to quit, but you've come too far for that to happen. We're in your corner bro, whatever decision to decide. :) Keep your head up.

Well I have thought about starting the tank over again like I did a couple months ago, but this time I would throw out all of the live rock and not use 1 piece, even after dried out. I just can't figure out what's causing it

Well last time I boiled all the rock but I did seed it with an old piece cause pieces from the aquarium store were trade ins and had aptasia, I would rather just use new all together, I thought about creating my own using the white portland cement, sea shells method.

Update: Well I tore down my tank early last year sometime, because I was having problems with dinoflagalates. I had all the fish in smaller tanks, and then in April I sold all my lifestock because I was leaving town to go on a 7 month electrical engineering internship. I just came back about a month ago and moved into an apartment now. I moved all the fish stuff from my mom's house over to my apartment yesterday as I plan to start it back up soon. To my dismay while preparing to move the fish tank I saw this:

2012-02-16_13-20-08_553.jpg

:(

You are looking at the backwall (and bottom) with the crack on the backwall from one of the holes I drilled. This might have happened either when my friend and I were carrying it down stairs or when it when it sat in the garage for a couple months (because it had pipes connected still which probably acted like a lever). It was never there when my tank was up and running.

I bought this tank from glass-cages (I live like 2 hours from them here in TN), so I will probably buy another one from them. I know they get a lot of complaints, but I never had any issues with the tank, plus you can't beat $120, unless someone can show me one that's not much more expensive. (I also get from them because I know it's plated glass that I can drill).

I still have all my other equipment, and I removed the overflow from the broken tank so I can reuse it.

So when I redo the tank, I have some questions.

Should I just avoid a CL system altogether? I had holes for it last time for future use, but I don't know if it's even necessary. I thought about when I set up the tank run some pvc from the bulkheads, like a spray bar behind the rock and some flow outward from the back, and then just hook up the pump when I buy it. That is why in this setup I had 3 bulkheads coming from the bottom (see previous posts)

What size should my returns be, the glass-holes website says that he 1/2 inch return is good for like 450 gph, and I had 2, and the overflow box is like 750 gph or something. Is this all sufficient for my 55 gallon tank?

Should I put the overflow box in the corner instead of the center? It seemed that I wasn't getting enough surface agitation the last time.

Where can I get some of that really flexible tubing (not flex pcb, even more flexible) for the drain/overflow line to the sump, it would need to be 1.5"

Any tips would be appreciated.

Well no one answered before but that's ok, I have made up my mind I think. I will not be drilling for a CL system, it's probably unnecessary at this point and I have lots of powerheads already, and I live in an apartment so I don't want to have to worry about leaks so much. I will only be drilling for the overflow and returns. Are 2 1/2" returns sufficient for my 750 gph overflow box? Or should I go with 3/4"?

I was going to get another 55 gallon from glass cages but it turns out a neighbor of my client at work has a 55 gallon which he's willing to give me for free! It looks like thicker glass and I think it's cause it doesn't have that center brace, just a rim. Now I just need to figure out if it's tempered or not. It doesn't have a sticker anywhere but I'm going to do the LCD polarized sun glasses test to see and if it's not, I got a new tank!

My 800 gph overflow has a 3/4" return and that's a little much for it, so I think you would be able to do the 2 1/2" returns without a problem. The 3/4" with a rio 2100 ends up overflowing the DT if I leave the ball valve wide open. Good luck with your new tank! Glad you came back to the hobby!

Last edited:
My 800 gph overflow has a 3/4" return and that's a little much for it, so I think you would be able to do the 2 1/2" returns without a problem. The 3/4" with a rio 2100 ends up overflowing the DT if I leave the ball valve wide open. Good luck with your new tank! Glad you came back to the hobby!

Ok cool thanks. Lol I had to come back I've got too much money into it ;) plus I love it :)

DSC00358.jpg

Here is the tank I got, I already had the stand and light obviously. Just bought the tank with that junk inside that I'm going to throw away. Not tempered, 3/8 inch glass un-braced

Back