ltkenbo's 55 Gallon Rebuild

Yeah I read that one before, pH didn't seem to help at the point I was at the first time, see the problem originally started right when I got the new nova fixture before my upgrade, brand new from drsfosterandsmith. Right now I'm just running the actinics which is keeping them at bay.

id go with 2 ati blue plus 2 ati aqua blue and 2 uvl super attinics :) would have a great 14 k color and would make the colors really pop, if you want more blue do 3 ati blue plus 2 ati aquablue special and 1 uvl super attinic

Yeah I think I'm gonna have to get new bulbs this is f'ing retarded. I turned the daylight ones off and only the actinics on and the dino's stop growing but after a day or 2 running the daylights they go crazy. I'm gonna call current too to give them an ear load about how much these bulbs suck. I know it's not my tank, because when I light the tank with the other older fixtures I have no dino's whatsoever (sunlight supply coralife bulbs same color temp), but with these they go crazy. The corals don't ever seem too healthy under these ones either. ughhh!!!!!! I hate this crap.

So I'm gonna go with cage's suggestions, but I'm getting 4 out of the 6 bulbs first, just to see how the new bulbs do with the dino's and such. I got: 2 of the ATI aquablue and 2 of the Blue plus. When I get the new ones, I'll remove all the bulbs I have now and just run with the 4 bulbs at first to see how they do. If they work well, then I'll order the super actinics after that... Just ordered them

Well I think I'll run the rest eventually, but just like to see how the tank responds first, the main hope being the dino's will go away. The corals responded great to the old bulbs I had in my old fixture (coralife I think) and no problems ever with dino's. However the only coral that seemed to like the bulbs I have now is the hammer, not even the frogspawn likes them.. but the dino's go crazy for the daylights...

Well I will do that before I change the bulbs, but I assure you it will do nothing if I use these bulbs, cause I tried that numerous times when I had the tank in the other room, they always come back...

You'll probably have to leave your lights off completely for a couple of weeks.
When I had a dino outbreak,I went a full 14 days with the tank blacked out.I alsi dripped kalk 24/7 to hold the PH at or above 8.6 for those 14 days.Then the day I turned my lights back on,I did a 75% water change.

Got the new bulbs, they look great (even without actinics). No dinoflagallates yet, but I guess I'll find out for sure after a week or so...

Back