ltkenbo's 55 Gallon Rebuild

Ok so the clowns are in, and guess what, I'm seeing GHA growth on the piece of rock that I seeded the tank with, I guess this is a good sign correct?

Depends on how you look at it.:D
I mean your eventually gonna have algae in any new system,so might as get it over with.

Lol yeah I know I've battled hair algae before, but I meant, that it's a good sign of the tank beginning to "grow" if you wanna call it that.

I did! I like how it is plumbed. And your fish look very active. I'm so jealous of your Vortech :(. Your fish room is SO AWESOME. That's going to be a badass setup when it's finished.

Sorry,I just watch the video now.It was almost 10 minutes long,you know I have a short attention span.Very thorough video,love the cleanliness of the plumbing and the system itself.Oh and the aquascaping is awesome too!

So you are going bare bottom?

Well I am getting a lot of good coraline growth so far but today it looks like I'm getting some dinoflagalates again, ughh. I think honestly something is wrong with these bulbs, they are coralife ones that came with the nova extreme pro fixture so they are less than 6 months old, but do you think I got a bad batch of bulbs or something? Cause when I had many pieces of live rock in my temporary tanks for my fish I was powering them with 36" sunlight supply t5 fixture with no problems whatsoever with algae, with nitrates really high too, but no problems at all with any types of algae especially dinoflagalates. Also, when I started experiencing problems with them the first time it was right after I switched to the nova extreme pro fixture. So do you think it's worth a try to change the bulbs out?

I would give that a shot. Stock bulbs that come with fixtures are none to not be of top quality. Even if it's not causing the dinos, bad bulbs are certainly not helping.

No I'm not going bare bottomed I was just waiting till the cycle was over and to make sure there were no more dinoflagallates but they have returned so I'm not putting sand back until I can eliminate them.

Back