Lumen Par Lux Article

happynews

Reefing newb
I’m writing an article about grow light and try to do my research right I’m in need for help….
(The article is not in English)
This is some of what I know and don’t know at the moment:
1. For growing the best wavelength is 460,630 and 660 nm (blue and red) the orange is also god for something but I don’t understand quit what, as far as I can understand is far red also god for not getting desists. Is there something to ad?
2. A god way to measures light power is lumen but if you don’t know what wavelength you are measures it’s not god for anything.
3. Watt is just the consummation and if anything you want it to be as low as possible not as high as possible as it can look like from some advertise?
4. Kelvin is a telling something about the wavelength or/and color temperatures but I can’t figure exactly what.
5. PAR is almost the same range as the human eye can see and is not really making a big different from measuring with lumen as long as you still don’t measure a specific wavelength?
6. Most popular light HPS/HM and led.
As you might can see I’m in the very start of my research so any help is very help full…..
best regards
Jørn

Just a question first, is this for a freshwater tank or salt? Because the answers will be different on what you want.

But Lumens are a measure of how bright the light appears to our eyes, which doesnt mean anything in terms of coral growth. PAR is a measure of photosynthetic activation radiation, which is very important for growing corals.

Kelvin tells you what color the light is, the high the kelvin rating the more "blue" the light will look, the lower the kelvin rating, the more "yellow" the light will look.

Watts is how much power the unit will draw, for metal halides and t5 lighting, you need a fixture that will draw lots of power so that it will put out lots of light for the corals. Too little wattage, not enough light to grow corals. However, LED are far more energy efficient and dont need as much power to put out the same amount of light as t5/metal halides.

Red wavelength will grow algae more than corals, and there is no orange wavelength.

Back