monkiboy's 265g build thread

For a Fancy pair of Clowns, how about the Mccullochi Clown. They are pretty nice, get large, and aren't something most aquarists have :)
thanks for the idea but those guys are pretty ugly, haha. i can appreciate uniqueness but not with those guys. i like your idea of the frostbites better!

haha, yeah, but you said rare after all :p.

A shop by me has these Premium Onyx Picassos. Freaking AMAZING looking. 600$ for the pair though lol. The female is like 3.5" and the male is like 2.5"

haha, yeah, but you said rare after all :p.

A shop by me has these Premium Onyx Picassos. Freaking AMAZING looking. 600$ for the pair though lol. The female is like 3.5" and the male is like 2.5"
yeah, i guess. my taste is weird so don't know how much help i'm going to get, haha. i'll just keep updating my list.

$600 for that pair is a bit ridiculous. alpha, proaquatix, etc will sell you a pair a little more than half that, same size and "premium" and let's not get into wholesale! don't be had!

Oh, I wouldn't. I get my stuff at wholesale anyway. Onyx Clowns for me at 1.5" are 28$. Ocellaris/Perculas (TR) are usually about 7-8$. Snowflakes are 20$. I'm friends with a lot of breeders and resellers, and work with them whenever I can :). The reason that store wants 600$ for the pair is because they are the almost full black with orange tips, and the white markings are insane on them. More white = better lineage of the clown. Less white (I.E. the Naked/Misbars) are at the lower end of the gene pool. They are also breeder size, and are selling them as proven breeders (Not sure if they've ever spawned though, so, don't know how truthful they are on it. But, getting them to breed wouldn't be very difficult provided the right conditions :p).

I'm already fully stocked on breeder pairs, as it stands, I'd need a warehouse to raise the amount of fry that I'm going to have once I set up my breeding racks :). 12 Pairs of Clowns, ranging from Snowflakes, Black Ice, Extreme Snowflakes, Darwins, Regular Ocellaris, Onyx, and Maroons haha.

sweet, more goodies in the mail - more flow! this is the first one on the back pane. the trend across the boards seems like folks are loving the performance and price of the jebaos which = lots of vortechs for sale = lower and more competitive pricing on them =
drink39.gif
good times for me!

b84861eb-90d4-4fd6-9ed6-c1e094c4893e_zps2df55a32.jpg

8a3721af-6293-4073-99ad-e2d60322616a_zps5160d6e3.jpg

3b248d2f-c6b1-4ad1-9a63-b807c8c3aa8e_zps37c940c4.jpg

forgot to post an update...

made myself a sweet manifold from some irrigation gear and some cepex ball valves. i've made them from same materials before but this one for some reason just screams beee a utiful, haha.

the first angled 90° barb goes to the holding/acclimation tank and fuge which then flows into the nem prop tank and frag tank and then flows into the sump. the other two valves are for reactors and the last for a chiller or other high flow (1" barb) necessity down the road.

all this is being run off of the second dc10500 RO pump. this pump is only running at level 2 of 6 at the moment and producing plenty of flow. once i have the reactors and other stuff hooked up to the manifold i'll probably need to crank it up a bit.

CAM00329_zpsf9059670.jpg

CAM00328_zps2b4a0fc3.jpg

eight hours of plumbing later i have flow through the rest of the system and everything dialed in. no leaks, no sweat
cool.png

CAM00333_zps2a31dee6.jpg

next is to figure out where the heck to put all my electrical components, drivers, wiring, etc up and away from water and humidity and start tidying things up!

I'd get a mini de-humidifier for the back room if I was you. Would be a great help in keeping the room and everything dry since you'll have quite a big evap from such a big tank.

I'd get a mini de-humidifier for the back room if I was you. Would be a great help in keeping the room and everything dry since you'll have quite a big evap from such a big tank.
thanks for posting up. for ventilation and humidity/moisture control we made sure the room had it's own return and a good sized window as well so no worries there

am going to need some heaters for the setup so i picked up some of these finnex titanium heaters.

f4acbbf2-7ae8-492d-9385-efd62a428f92_zpsfda3bcc1.jpg

did a quick review and search but nothing too compelling. just didn't want glass and wanted something reliable so i dont know. anyone have experience with these and any issues? i saved the money of getting the separate controller as i'll have them programmed in and hooked up to the apex. i only needed one but figure i can use the other for redundancy or for a back up since i had a discount coupon and credit and group buy pricing to BRS, might as well.

59ace38b-7756-4f1f-a1e9-33fd10db59c6_zpsafc5d276.jpg

so i've had a couple months at least now with the skimmer and so far so good. the DC5500s from RO have proven to be an awesome pump choice for grey seas/avast standard 12.

i have one of the at about 65% and the the other at 80% with the gate valve fully open on the drain from the skimmer and she has settled in nicely and producing wonderfully putrid skimmate.

the wall of tiny bubbles looks like someone poured low fat milk in the body and they can only be seen as tiny little bubbles if you really look hard. the swabbie is helping keep things running tip top. i do need to do some adjustment as it will skip sections of the neck and cup and with too much pressure doesn't work right, i need to work on finding the sweet spot with the hard edge of the swabbie or possibly swap out for a more squeegee type blade.

8e235cbb-c1bb-4cbc-95ce-3910a504bcae_zps9b49cfbf.jpg

at the moment with these settings i am removing a full cup of skimmate as shown below about every four days or so. this is about 3g or so. i haven't decided on what size locker i want to run yet so i'm just draining to a 5g bucket and dumping far from the house
Sick.gif
every few days.

9f04da47-9f96-49f7-bdf1-c1abe83b6c89_zps0cabfe6b.jpg

things are going smoothly so far but still have a lot to do. i still have a pile of wires in the fish room and random power strips. need to get those mounted on a wall, wires sleeved and organized, and figure out a power shelf or cabinet either blocked off to the right of the sump or above the tank or on the ball wall of the fish room behind the tank but don't know which and what wires need to be what length and which i will be able to extend etc especially with the apex and various modules and probes and power cords for all peripherals.

but baby steps, diligence, and patience will get 'er done...

on dd last night and still available tonight - a show-size a. achilles x a. nigricans (achilles goldrim hybrid tang).

well there goes wanting just a "regular" awesome looking achilles, haha.

lg-1029131-279_zpsdcd8b564.jpg

when i saw the clarion on the list to go up tonight, i thought just maybe it'll be within reach because of the years it has been since the initial batch came in and excitement has perhaps died down and then they were selling for $2400-2700 and now it'll have to be much less. NOPE. needless to say, i am without a clarion, haha. there are some fanatics for this fish and surprisingly it did take a couple hours before it was gone

clarion_zps8253fefa.jpg

If I could spend 5k on a fish I would have a Olympic diving pool as my main DT and a lap pool for a shallow reef and I would swim with my fish.

i've been so tired lately with long nights and busy days so posting has been non-existent lately, sorry. i did pick up a 4x8 block of the marine pure ceramic media to try out. going to raise off the bottom and put a bunch of these in my sump and a couple in the nem propagation tank as it's really easy to peel nems off of it if they decide to attach their foot on them.

had very little dust but it is suggested to rinse over tap then with RODI prior to adding to your system. i swished it around in some water headed to the drain from the last water change and looked good to go. these things hold an immense amount of water which led me to believe it's "pore network" must be equally impressive so hopefully great result but that will be near impossible to quantify.

7d535bb4-9ab4-4d4e-9822-a058b446a313_zps2e7078b1.jpg

55102405-0650-43a2-b59a-1837963876aa_zps732942f0.jpg

my tank build was posted up by the r2r folks on their fbook page and within just a few minutes i had over 300 folks reading my build thread which i thought was really neat. thankfully a couple folks from my local forum let me know otherwise i would never have put that together, haha. numbers were much less later in the night but still 135 folks 8 or so hours later was really cool to see.

ab317b2b-bdd4-4903-a734-db52007153b1_zpse3d0522a.jpg

was replacing the filter socks today and thought i'd grab a quick video of how pods are freaking taking over my tank, haha.

i removed the filter sock from my sump and tossed it into a bucket and when i went to toss the filter sock in the washer, i shake it a bit and this is what gets left behind
ohmy.png

Back