monkiboy's frag tank setup!

Wow the sump is quite lit up from those LEDs! Pretty cool how it shines all the way down.

yeah i really dig it. those are actually the marineland reef-readys on the tank in that shot. they worked out to be great lights.

free plug: i'll be selling a brand new 36" reef ready light that i thought i was going to use but never did. not the timer kind but brand new in original box for anyone interested!

awesome job on the pluming sir.
thank you, sir. my first time using sch80. the primer for that stuff is crazy intense. it was melting through everything it landed on i used for floor protection. wish i had used a respirator cause it gave me some gnarly headaches, haha.

nitrite - .25ppm
ammonia - .50ppm

thank you, sir. my first time using sch80. the primer for that stuff is crazy intense. it was melting through everything it landed on i used for floor protection. wish i had used a respirator cause it gave me some gnarly headaches, haha.

nitrite - .25ppm
ammonia - .50ppm

wow hahaha thats crazy :shock: all i can think of is the friggen drool from alien hahaha

it's gonna take a bit longer with the rock that needs to cure while the tank cycles but hopefully it does something!

nitrite - 5 ppm
ammonia - .50 ppm

thanks a lot!

tank is perfectly clear now. the skimmer broke in within 12 hours and is already pulling out some nasty nasty

...just waiting on cycle and curing...so much waaaaaaiting....bah!

20121003_164702_zpsa9d50a6d.jpg

amba and nanoreefs - thanks for reading and the comments! you don't realize all the work when you're a reefing dork and just having fun, ha!

anderson* - it really isn't a "kit". it is just a drill guide and some clamps. it worked wonderfully. the drill bit can skip on glass while it tries to bite and establish itself on the glass. the guide allows it to stay in one place and get your hole started nicely. some remove the guide after you have your initial scribe into the glass but i just leave it there until i'm done with the hole.

for a first time driller i do have some advice. it's really easy. use a guide (Glass Drill Bit Guide THK - Bulk Reef Supply), triple check your distances and measurements, apply the guide, either have someone hold the hose or water for you, or use some putty to create a well around the guide to hold water within while you drill. i just used some clamps for continual flow over the area to maintain the heat down and flow the tiny glass pieces away. do not put pressure on the tank glass or the drill as you drill the tank. allow just the pressure of gravity to do the work and it will take 2-5 minutes to get through. use a towel on the inside of the tank in case the drilled glass falls so it does not crack or scratch the inside glass. tape the inside glass where you will be drilling. this will catch the drilled out portion once you drill through. use plastic/transparent tape as it will not be cut with the diamond-coated drill bit like paper-based tape will. use a diamond-coated bit. use one from BRS (Diamond Coated Glass Drill Bits - Bulk Reef Supply). watch their video for visual instruction as it is linked in the description of the above link. feel free to PM with any questions - i'd be glad to help!

did my first frags today! did some ricordeas and some st. thomas mushrooms! and did a fine job if i do say so myself.

20121004_171332_zpsf506dfa4.jpg

here's one frag rack of the three i got done today...

20121004_175430_zpse0f1982c.jpg

Back