monkiboy's frag tank setup!

Nice job! Watch out for those mushrooms though, they might detach and float away. When they are glued they tend to slime up and detach.

Nice job! Watch out for those mushrooms though, they might detach and float away. When they are glued they tend to slime up and detach.

oh, you're absolutely right! but i made to sure to have them all attach to some rock rubble/pieces before fragging. so they all had three or more small pieces of rock attached to and then i superglued the small pieces they had attached to with ic-gel and reef accelerator (love that stuff) to the frag plugs. hopefully no issues!

thanks for the heads up, nonetheless.

Nice job, this tank looks awesome. thanks for the help and advice, going to do my pretty much the same way. It just wont be done in one week. Can't believe how fast you got this done.

got the new nanoboxreef LED lights mounted up with a ceiling mount kit i pieced together. they are two DUOs modules within a hand-milled custom 24" enclosure!

20121005_184004_zps2e420112.jpg

20121005_183948_zpsc306aa30.jpg

20121005_184328_zps5444835a.jpg

20121005_191709_zps1f84eb30.jpg

20121005_191722_zpsa2e1f849.jpg

20121005_191804_zps91351133.jpg

20121005_191738_zps3ddee9fa.jpg

the lights are on two different profiles left to right. i need to play with the settings more to get the exact light spectrum and color i want but these will allow me to grow whatever i want in any place in the tank.

anyone have ideas on design the of the rack assembly in the tank? i was thinking of having just two levels other than glass bottom and i wanted to be sure they didn't cover one another. in my head and what i'm working on in a PVC frame with a center square section up higher then a u-shape lower.

thanks!

you guys have any ideas on the platform designs i mentioned previously or perhaps have one of your own or one you've seen that works well?

i would do at least like 4 or 5 different levels ,,,even some levels that are a bit shaded by the frags on a higher level so u can better acclimate some frags to ur light without affecting some of the frags that require more light. and also a good place to keep shrooms and stuff like that.

wow, really? i didn't think so many levels. i figured i'd have the bottom, and two levels up with the structure and egg crate.

the idea to have a shaded area is a smart one! even if i can adjust intensity on the lights, it's better to allow as much light as required for the light-demanding corals and have a shaded area for those that are new or do not require a ton.

when you say a good place for shrooms...what did you have in mind?

i would take a shallow drinking glass...or bowl (or something similar) and put some live rock rubble in it and put it in the corner or under a "shaded area" and u can put ur mushroom frags in it so they get lower light and a little less flow and they wont just float around ur tank. also theyll eventually attach to a small piece of rock. and then u can move the attached shroom and rock to one of the lower level eggcrate platforms

thanks for the input cheeser!

i'm gonna draw something horribly in paint to try to explain what i have in mind to make out of the eggcrate.

any reason i should be looking to add sand to this tank? was thinking of maybe picking up a 10lb of live sand to help speed up the cycle but more importantly for some clams i want to have in this tank that perhaps prefer a sand bed? i guess i can always put them in shallow tupperware with sand in there?

Back