monkiboy's frag tank setup!

do you find it to be useful having the system separate?

i've only just begun but in my research and planning it seems to make the most sense.

this frag tank will serve a different purpose then my DT upstairs. i will be doing this tank for accelerated growth and optimal coloration of the corals. there is also no need to be doing two tanks for the results i only need from one.

and i figure with the sump i've added some water volume but of course nothing like plumbing in with existing. i also wanted to be able to isolate the systems in case of a problem. no need for both tanks (dt and frag) to suffer if an outbreak or something goes wrong.

all in all i think it was the best move for me and my plans.

Awesome, one more question, do you think it's going to be a big PITA to acclimate corals to/from your main tank (I am assuming you're fragging from a main system), or are you keeping even the livestock separate as well?

as soon as the the frag tank cycles i am going to begin moving all my corals from my DT to this frag tank. the existing DT will then become a fish only and maybe one or two LPS tank and my frag tank will be all out incredible corals and dedicated to coral growth and showing off ;)

i will then be fragging from my frag tank's colonies where they are from so no acclimation.

the initial move won't be too bad. i have some creative frag racks and shadowing ideas (read cheeser's suggestions up top) to make that go easy for a couple weeks while they get used to the new brighter LED setup i have now.

just ordered a 20lb bag of caribsea arag-alive hawaiian-black live sand, two ecoxotic 24" LED magenta/blue stunner bars for the frag tank! going to mount on the side of my existing LED light and see what they can do. if they work well, i'll use them upstairs in my DT for supplemental lighting as well.

also placed what will hopefully be my last order for this tank build to BRS today. a lot of cepex ball valves (not cheap apparently!) odds and ends, new higher flowing pump so that i can run my reactors off my manifold i made of the return, etc.

excited!

Awesome to hear about the new goodies, yeah I spent a ton on plumbing and odds and ends. Let me know how the stunners are, I thought about one or two of them for my DT, to add some color. Thanks for answering my questions, you've been a big help.

ordered up two different power bars with switches. wanted to see which i liked better. will swap up the two american dj 4 outlet modules with one of these for my DT and then likely the blue 9 outlet will go to the frag tank.

here is what they look like:

21q1CTh08pL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

get_image.aspx

ebay - they are about 30 bucks shipped. not too cheap that they are likely to fail immediately but not too expensive to keep convenience out of reach!

they are: Technical Pro 1U Rack Mount Power Supply - PSB9/PS9B/PS9U & American DJ PC-100A 8-Switch Rack Mount On/Off AC Power Strip Source

if you're interested, i'll let you know which is better once they arrive in the next few days or so.

Last edited:
my ammonia has been pegged at 0 for over a week. the nitrites though peaked at 4-5ppm per my API test kit and has not moved for over a week. ahhhh, do SOMETHING.

no patience i tell you.

but good news. i got some B-E-A UTIFUL SPS colonies and frags coming my way - here are two of my favorites!

tabling shortcake acropora:
ssc-4_zps51dcce5f.jpg

another tabling acro (blue and green):
pinkgreen_zpsdec3ac28.jpg

super excited!

yeah the more research i do, the more i find chalices, acros, and other SPS i'm interested in!

the colonies averaged $225 with some +/- $100

the budget only allowed for so much, though and the no need to go crazy all at once but it's hard to step back away from great looking deals.

wow vary BEAUTIFUL acro's there awesome but damn thats a chunk of change right there. But for that hole thing one hell of a deal.

i actually split them up and sold them off. they were going to be too large and i just got overzealous in a frenzy. so i'll have much smaller pieces for now and it'll be a but more humbling :)

Back