My 20g Setup

Question, why did you set up your tank in order to keep a dead shrimp? I like my shrimp but he's alive. Most people put the dead ones in the freezer and save them until it's time for dinner? Curious.

If you throw a piece of shrimp (from your freezer) into the tank, it will rot and kick off a cycle. It's just an alternative way to cycle (say, instead of using live rock, or in addition to using live rock).

yeah i did not want to cycle my tank with a fish and then either kill it, or be stuck with a cheap hardy fish that I didn't intend to keep. In the articles section on this site there was an article about fishless cycling using a raw shrimp or other raw fish as they decompose they release ammonia just like fish waste, this way I can just introduce the fish I intend to keep when the cycle is complete.

I used live rock and live sand and never really had a cycle. I checked my numbers at least every other day for the first month and never noticed any difference. I set up on November 1st so you think I would have seen something by now. I'm mostly interested in corals but I do have a couple of fish that seem happy. It looks kind of sad to see that poor shrimp in your tank! Glad you did your research!

Well my ammonia and nitrite were all the way down so I did a 10% water change and thought it was time to add some fish. I went and got a Ocellaris Clown and an emerald crab. They've both been in for about 24 hours now and look like they're doing good! In about a week I plan on adding another clown the same size and two peppermint shrimp.

The clown is super small and man is he hard to take a picture of...
DSC04417.jpg

DSC04418.jpg

DSC04419.jpg

ha yeah my girlfriend asked the same thing so I went ahead and picked some out. This clown is Carter and the Emerald Crab is Alfred, The next clown will be Lazelle and the 2 shrimps will be Wright and Wallace...I just named them after my fraternity's founding fathers...

I was so excited to go to the lfs today and get some more tank inhabitants,,, but due to the ice storm that we had the lfs had a big leak in their roof and decided to close today...I was pretty upset about this and wanted to do some remodeling so I tried to rearrange my rocks...I hope this new formation works out a little better and I really hope nothing falls:D

Before...
DSC04401.jpg

After...
DSC04432.jpg

Full tank shot...
DSC04431.jpg

A good shot at the crab which I rarely get...
DSC04427.jpg

DSC04428.jpg

Another pic of the clown...he looks about as happy as he can be by himself...
DSC04433.jpg

Wow, your tank is really comming along! Love the crab! Do you have any pods or sand critters going yet? Maybe some snails? One of the things I managed to do correctly was get a good sand community going before I started putting too much stuff in my tank. My numbers stay good even though I've got a tiny tank. The guys at IPSF and GARF have good information on this. Just a suggestion!

Looks good!

Catherine

What is IPSF and GARF? I actually was planning on getting some snails and stuff yesterday at the LFS but they were closed so I don't know when I'll be able to get some...Haven't seen any pods though

Back