My 20g Setup

Alright It's been a while since i've posted anything and I made the move back home from school and I'm back in my 20 gallon high due to lack of space. Unfortunately I'm going to have one more move in the next six months or so but that should be the last for a long time. I'll also hopefully be doing a upgrade to a 75g then.

Here's a new fts....
IMG_0372.jpg

Here's a new softie I picked up I'm not exactly sure what it its but it hasn't even opened up all the way yet....I think the guy at the store said kenya tree or something...
IMG_0371.jpg

some zoo and gsp off to the side...
IMG_0370.jpg

My mushrooms have been doing the best since the move...
IMG_0369.jpg

My frogspawn is getting bigger but seems to be losing some color lately...
IMG_0367.jpg

My gsp's and xenia took the move pretty hard and seem to be losing some color as well....the xenia's looked completely dead and lost a bunch of them...then they were doing good...and now are on the down again...
IMG_0364.jpg

One more fts...
IMG_0362.jpg

I'm hoping to get a new light in the next few weeks instead of replacing my bulbs on the pc...I think i'm just going to get the oddysea halide for 100 bucks...bulbs would cost 75 anyways...Also having a bit of trouble with some green algae and cyano but i've been doing regular water changes and my parameters are great....hopefully adding to my cuc will do the trick...

I hate not having the brightness of the blue sides and background that definitely made a huge difference in my long tank...

i had to change the ballast for my mh light because the odyessa one would not fire any bulb very well if at all unless it was their cheap ass bulbs

thanks i just ordered a new t5 light today so hopefully once I get that, add a bit to my cuc I can get the algae under control and get some more color in there!

those zoas are sweet! you have any turbo snails in there? there cheap and they do wonders on green algae! otherwise just grab an old toothbrush and go to town lol do a quick water change and your good to go.

No right now I have two peppermint shrimp, 1 hermit crab, 1 nassarius snail, 5 astrea snails, and 1 nerite snail for my cuc. I've tried a turbo snail 1 time and it didn't really do much and died within a few days. I guess it's worth trying another...

I'm also in the process of adding a 10g sump...I used to have one, then didn't put it back in when I moved...but now I'm working on it again. This time I'm doing the diy pvc overflow to the sump (i broke my eshoppes overflow box) and I actually used pvc for my return as well with a rio pump instead of a maxi jet like last time so that should add about another 9 gallons to the system, I can move my skimmer down to the sump and it should also add a bit more flow to the display via the return...My new light should be here on thursday so hopefully it's decent and I also found a guy close by that is selling a bunch of frags from his house...He sent me pics and has a ton of frags of soft, lps, and sps (3 or so 55g tanks full!) and he said he'd give almost all the frags for $10 or so... if everything works out I should have plenty of good pics up next week!!!

Well I've made a few changes to the system as you can see. I put in a 10 gallon sump and moved my heater and skimmer down there. I also got a new T5 96 watt 4 bulb fixture. It's a cheap one but I'm hoping for the next 6 months or so it'll keep me going. It was actually cheaper than replacing the bulbs in my PC fixture and I thought it might even be better. I also made a pvc return line for my pump and a diy pvc overflow that I saw online and it seems to be working pretty well....I made sure to drill some holes in the side of my return in case of a power outage or a pump fail so it will stop the back siphon and I attached an airline tube with a lift pump to the overflow so I will hopefully never lose the siphon...I tested both and they are working for now so I'm gonna keep an eye on it and hope for the best. I also didn't use any baffles so i could get more water volume out of such a little sump and I don't have any bubbles at all in my dt. Everything seems to be doing good so on with the pictures!

FTS with new Lights
IMG_0384.jpg

IMG_0385.jpg

with just the actinics on...
IMG_0396.jpg

New T5 light...I got this off ebay for $70 w/ shipping, I'm not sure on the brand but it seems to be a solid fixture...I've heard the oddyssea bulbs it came with aren't great but they have really good color and my corals don't seem to be doing any worse so hopefully they'll start to respond...
IMG_0389.jpg

My diy pvc overflow...
IMG_0390.jpg

IMG_0391.jpg

New Sump...filled with about 9 gallons...
IMG_0392.jpg

I have my return pump, heater, thermometer, skimmer and a grow light....
IMG_0394.jpg

IMG_0393.jpg

I kind of like how the return comes out right next to my skimmer pump...I think thats about as close to plumbing directly into the skimmer as I can get without actually doing it...
IMG_0395.jpg

My frogspawn and one orange zoanthid polyp...I can already see the zoanthid has opened up more!
IMG_0386.jpg

and under actinic...
IMG_0398.jpg

My mushrooms, some green zoanthid, and a little gsp if you can see it....
IMG_0387.jpg

and the actinic shot...
IMG_0399.jpg

thanks biff! was the neat sarcastic? ha I feel like everything is so cramped in my little sump and stand it was hard to make everything fit...

People don't even know when Biff is being sincere.Now that's funny to me.

Great job,the xenia has some heads missing but it looks very much alive to me too.Don't be surprise to see some grow in a different place.

ha ok good...i'm a little ocd when it comes to being organized and i wish more than anything I had more space for all my wires and things!

How did you have that taam rio nano skimmer set up. ( water flow, and air flow into the pump) I have had mine up for about a month and its still not skimming all that well, and what it is skimming is just white foam

Last edited:
Back