My anti "IRS" 300 gallon build

I hate to burst your bubble, but I've had the black ones break from the salt, and they were only holding a filter sock in the sump.

That's because you used a "shit" tie strap...You're talking to a guy who knows more about tie straps then should be humanly possible. So my bubble is not burst.

White tie straps break in sunlight, I assume that the closest thing to sunlight is our tank lights. There is no reason to take the risk.

The reason I know this? White tie straps cost me well over $2,000 in service calls about a decade ago. The unltraviolet light from the sun breaks them. Period, end of story, case closed.

:shock:heck yeah,you said it....Love it.....You get get a lot of triggers and angels in there:mrgreen:

Thank you Piratefish and OhNoNemo. I am probably going to avoid triggers and angels this time around. I am going with the most peaceful community possible. My previous 250 gallon was a major headache with having to stand by with the net in case a fight broke out. I will have to protect my massive investment of coral on this tank. everyone will have to get along and better ignore the coral or else.:grumble:

It would be cool to have a small school of blue jaw triggers (they're almost completely reef safe). Like one male and 2 or 3 females.

Last edited:
Quick update. I will post pics soon. I ditched the Koralia pumps and am running 2 mp40 ecotecs. I will be adding 2 more in the future. Also the Coralife Elite fixture is gone in 2 days and I will be using 3 of the Lumenmax elite reflectors. I have also taken out the flow excellerators on the returns and run straight pvs ends and now I have my pump running at its full 4750 gph. My cheato is loving all the flow in the refugium.

Ok, here we go. Some of the pics are a little bit older and some are a little blurry. I will be taking some new shots this week and posting. You can see the growth difference. Its really coming along. I will try to get a stock list going this week also. The tank is so much healthier with the MP40's on here now. I usually keep them on long pulse mode during the week and then on the weekends I kick them into nutrient transport mode.That really does get all the "yuck" up and out of there. I will be adding two more of them soon to give it a little more kick. Hope you guys enjoy the update.

IMG_3314.jpg

IMG_3315.jpg

IMG_3316.jpg

IMG_3317.jpg

IMG_3318.jpg

IMG_3319.jpg

IMG_3320.jpg

IMG_3322.jpg

IMG_3323.jpg

IMG_3325.jpg

Ok ok. I can get some tomorrow when the halides are on. And there is a full shot on page 8 I think that is about a month or 2 old.

All the pics loaded for me ... I like the one of the mandarin and blenny hanging out together.

One of my favorites also. They always cruise together when the Mandarin is out front. He hides quite a bit looking for food behind the rocks.

Back