My Damsel Is A Health Freak

Rcpilot

Reef enthusiast
I'm still running the magnum canister on my tank. I pull the nylon filter media every other day and rinse the debris off.

Today, I caught my damsel swimming in the current from the canister. The discharge nozzle is pointed down in the tank at a 45* angle and she's got her head pointed right at the nozzle and swimming her little ass off. Kinda like she was on the treadmill. :sfish:

She would do this for 15 seconds and then dive out of the current and float around. Kinda laze around in the tank for a minute or two and then she'd be right back at the nozzle again. Swimming her ass off for between 10 and 20 seconds at a time.

She did this about 7 times in a row that I saw before she stopped. All told, this was a 20 minute spectacle.

Weird.

(BTW-- I have no idea if it's a male or female, but the kids named it Dory, so that's why I refer to it as "her" or "she" )

Thought I saw her doing this a couple days ago, but dismissed it. Seams like she's a regular at this.

I'm REALLY gonna mess her up when I put a 500GPH powerhead in the tank and set it on a 15 minute timer to simulate waves/tidal surges. LOL

She's gonna get more flow soon as I get some bills paid and get my RO unit. I'm going to put a good sized powerhead in the tank and set it on a timer. I'd like to see her try and swim against a 500GPH powerhead!! :shock:

My powder blue lives in the flow of a powerhead, when he is not picking at my nepthia...little bastard eats more of my corals than my angels do

-Dr Marco :sfish:

yeah, can you believe that? He is going to be replaced by an Atlantic Blue pretty soon if he doesn't stop nipping at my nepthia. He has already reaten one stalk of it. LIttler jerk...

RC were you referring to Dr. Marco or me?
I just recently set up a new system and a Powder Blue was on my stocking list for fish that I wanted to keep.I may have to reconsider that decision since Doc's fish is nibbling on his corals.

it seems as if the entire Acanthurus family can be difficult to keep alive, unless in a seasoned tank - they are by far the MOST aggressive of the tangs - followed by the family Zebramosa (IMHO).

I don't want to discourage you from getting one Reeffreak. I think my powder blue is an anomoly. My favorite tang is a Sohal Tang, but I just don't have the space to keep another fish (yet) and Sohals get SOOOO aggressive as they get bigger. But just do damned pretty. Anyway, I would still put it on the list.

I was thinking the same way Doc.Maybe your Powder Blue is a very rare case.I guess all the competition for food is making the Tang nibbling,who knows.I'll put it back on the list but I'm pming you a funky message if it starts tasting my corals(jk BTW).

He could just be nipping at left over food that got stuck on the coral. Who knows. There is so much activity in my tank, it is hard to tell who is doing what. I would put both the powder blue and a sohal tang on your list.

I think his powder blue is learning bad habbits from his angles! lol

My fish form a line and take turns swimming in the K3 lol.. quite the site!

Back