My First Reef Tank (29Gallons)

That tank is really starting to fill up fast. Looking good too. Have you replaced your MH bulb yet? I heard that the bulbs they supply are not the best and should be replaced sooner than later. I have the same light on my 29 and am debating spending the money for a new bulb. Do you run a GFO or carbon? Have you been doseing anything?

Thankyou, no i have not replaced the bulb yet mine seems to be doing just fine for now, and no i dont run any carbon or dose anything right now. Just do my water changes every 1 1/2 to 2 weeks. How is your tank coming i havent seen any updates lately?

two words----HAIR ALGAE--- other than that pretty good not much has changed and I don't want to add anything till I get the algea problem undercontrol

Yea I can understand that. I have been pretty lucky so far not to much algae. It is just on my glass, I didn't think about cleaning the glass when i set up my tank so I have one side of the tank almost touching the wall. The only way i can get it off is by scraping from the inside and i dont like putting my hands in there that long just incase i have something on them.

Well I got some good news. I found my old light fixture, when i went home to my parents for thanksgiving I found it in my closet. I do not remember when i did it but i guess i took it home at some point.

I put the fixture on my tank when i got back and boy o boy did it make the algae grow. So I'm guessing it could be bad bulbs. So what is a good brand of T5 light bulbs to get. The blue bulbs in that fixture made my corals look amazing...i have never seen their colors like they did under the t5s.

Hopefully after christmas I will be able to set up my 55 gallon tank. I would like to put the t5s on half of the tank and my MH on the other half. Will that work, will it be enough light on a 55 gallon?

Thanks for the advice

I got in some new corals in today...I got dendros, orange sun coral, a chalice, something of mushroom, green star polyps, and a frogspawn. I will try to post some pictures tonight after work.

here are a couple shots of the new stuff

DSCN0862-1.jpg

DSCN0857.jpg

DSCN0864.jpg

DSCN0862.jpg

DSCN0858.jpg

DSCN0856.jpg

Thanks Biff,
Just making sure but the dendros and the sun coral do not like light, correct?

And how can I tell if the frogspawn is in to much flow?

Ok guys and girls I have a couple of questions. I'm taking this tank down and moving it into my 55 gallon tank.

1. Should I let the 55 go through a cycle like a new tank before putting in the corals and rocks I have in the 29? Or will it be ok to just go ahead and put the rock and corals in?

2. Can/should I add some the water from the 29 gallon into the 55 gallon? Or should I go with all new water?

Thanks for the help everyone should I do anything as far moving the tanks?

Personally, when I upgraded, I let the new rocks cycle first, then added the stuff from the litle tank.

all new, unless you're doing a water change. won't really matter that much anyway

Ok here is the current FTS, this will be the last one for the 29 gallon tank upgrading to a 55 gallon.

DSCN0928.jpg

left side
DSCN0929.jpg

right side
DSCN0930.jpg

my new mushroom
DSCN0937.jpg

new frogspawn
DSCN0941.jpg

new sun coral its already growing three new heads
DSCN0942.jpg

Back