My First Reef Tank (29Gallons)

Hang in there with the floating mushrooms, I bought a mushroom rock, it had five or so heads on it they all went missing for weeks. I found them later in the corner so I left them alone for over a month, now they were moved to the 29gal and doing great.

Im not sure but i dont think so...i had it in between two rocks with very little flow but maybe. i looked for it forever with no luck finding it o well

Small update I got another Clown and an emerald crab other day sorry no pictures still have not got the charger for the camera. My corals are looking really good and some have grown suprisingly fast, I will post pictures as soon as I get the charger back...should be this weekend.

I have a few qeustions...
1. My new clown has started hosting to this and it is causing the coral to not extend fully is there a way to make it stop hosting to it?
DSCN0699.jpg

2. Im curious as to how this grows I have seen some that look like a ball and some that are flat?
DSCN0662.jpg

3. This tank may becoming to an end depending on the answer to this one.
Background I have 55 gallon freshwater tank that all of the fish suddenly died in. I am now even more thinking of upgrading into that tank.

Will I need to get another light like the one i have now, and put one on each side of the tank? Or will my light be enough for a 55 gallon tank?

I read that you can touch the clown with a "stick" or some thing to bother it so it stops hosting the coral. 50/50 chance it works like everthing else. Not sure how that grows, but your light should still be good on the 55. It is still 3 watts per gal and I don't believe you have any high light requirement corals. You might need to place some thing higher and more in the center but I would think it would work. Have you looked at adding a t-5 to the MH I think they have a kit at fish need it to add t-5s and that might be enough if you need a little more.

That's a great pic of those zoas! With the brain, if it has nothing to attach to, it will grow in a ball shape. If it is propped up against a rock, it will grow onto the rock in a flat shape.

You've got some beautiful stuff there.
Don't know what kind of polyp the white one is, but I would use some tweezers and remove it so it doesn't crowd out the watermelons.

Thanks, should i get it with tweezers or should i cut it off with a razor blade? Will it come back after I pull it or cut it off?

It's some sort of palythoa. I have those exact ones in my tank. They are fast growers. I would use Aiptasia X if you don't want it anymore, although it's not hurting anything. If you use tweezers or a razor, it will probably come back (in numbers).

Well I found my mushroom that floated away a while back...I'm worried about it, it has shrunk to almost nothing and has lost most of its color. It is mostly white but does still have green around its mouth and has little pink lines through it.

anyone ever had anything like that happen to them, or have any advice.

Back