My first tank - 60g

Why did you take all the corals out? did something go wrong?
They all just got moved over to my 75 when it got set up because it looked so empty.
I gotta say, I think I should stop trying anemones, Ive got 2 atm, 2 sea apples and 2 nems got killed by my bubble coral and 1 died from the fan... stupid things
You're really lucky they didn't kill everything in your tank when they died!

That makes sense that they were all moved.

And i dont know if its lucky or if anemones are very overrated as dangerous. I think they are more likely to release bad toxins if they are pissed than if they die suddenly.

1 died from fan, my lfs says at least 1 bubble tip will do that when he gets them in. and never crashed

1 got stung to death which i dont get why it didnt crash it, because everything said it should have.

and the third could be alive and hiding but is missing at the moment, and is the best looking and most expensive one XD lost it overnight.

so i dont know, they seem to be fine.

My tank is in a bit of a horrible way at the moment. I decided to basically tear it down, change 100% water and remove 80% of the sand. But Im kind of wishing I took out all the sane because its been 24 hours and its still murky XD so im hoping it clears up tomorrow!

should I have taken out all the sand?

Alright, after the struggles ive had, I lost my Flame angel (bloody expensive fish) and a few others along with 2 sea apples and a bunch of corals ive decided to make the tank a hard coral tank because I think they look gorgeous.

So is there anything you recommend I do?

I currently have about 10 softies and LPS Corals, 2 anemones (one is a bit bleached because of where he placed himself before the tank cleanup) and 4 fish
2 clown fish
1 LMB
1 Mandarin

so any advice for me? I will be updating a few pictures tonight, because it needs a new look, but the tank is boring now :)

Well Sarah, it was overstocked and during the changes to do a full cleanup and so forth everything just went wrong. Tank is good now.

The lights are strong enough, I had a MHalide but just upgraded to an LED fixture that is 150 watts worth of cree LED's. the Maxspect G2.

But I dont know how I should start with SPS, what levels are best to check and how many I should start with and how quickly I can buy them?

With SPS, you'll need to start checking your calcium, magnesium, and alkalinity on top of your normal tests.
You'll want to make sure of these:
Calcium between 380-450
Alkalinity between 7-11 dKH
Magnesium between 1250-1350ppm

Acroporas or montiporas will probably be the easiest, I wouldn't start with too many only because they're expensive to mess up with and that way you can watch and see how they affect your parameters.

I did the exact tests today

My Nitrates are actually still a bit high, they are sitting anywhere from 5-20 so tomorrow ive got two 100 litre water changes coming (about 25g i think)

My tests were
Magnesium: 1300... Not 100% after .4 of the siring solution it went purple and it took till about .65 to start looking blue? so im guessing thats when it changed. But i lost the end color picture so im not sure if im right.

Calcium 400-420
Alkalinity 7 - think i might bring that up a litle bit.

Is there anything else I need to check?

Ive got 3 clams in the tank, 3 SPS Corals and one Montipora. Sooooooo Ill be checkign for the next few weeks. Ill upload some pictures tonight.

Is it worth it to get a calcium reactor when I get a lot? because im planning on getting a SPS heavy tank now.

img0269ok.jpg

img0264gd.jpg

img0262om.jpg

So here are some pictures of the scrubber I installed. As you can see, its already getting some algae growth :D Woot!

Im not getting much love on this thread lately ;)

maybe a couple of sps additions and a look at what is plaguing me atm in the algae world.

Ive done a big water change today, got to do another one this weekend, and my carbon dosing + algae scrubber + phosguard had better get rid of all this crap algae because im over seeing it... Going to get some carbon as well and floss out this water. I think it needs it.

Good look at my algae problem

img0271qw.jpg

img0289bl.jpg

My urchin is unbanished to try and help clean some of this up :) hopefully he does his job right.

And here are the two new sps

img0283lu.jpg

img0282zp.jpg

and here is a little nem that ive had for a while, found him in the tank hidden between rocks when i last rescaped, currently on the same rock as my clam

img0285vt.jpg

Not many people are reading this, but thought I would update, my algae has started to go down! I get the feeling the urchin has been doing his job and eating up. But the macro algae which got in my DT is now getting much much lighter in color, basically clear. So I get the feeling my algae problem is going to disappear fairly soon :) Im a happy fella atm

I did remove at the beginning, but ill get going again now! will the die off increase nitrates and phosphates?

Thanks Biff :) Most of the algae in the pics is being eaten at night by the urchin though, busy fella, should get another one for now lol

Sounds like it's really turning around for you Josh. It's gotta be all the time you've been spending on LR lately: mrgreen:

haha, being on here definitely helps me keep motivated to make it perfect :D

What I can tell you is that that peice was expensive and had a ric fall on it and now part of it has been killed. Very small amount, so im hoping it will bounce back. :frustrat:

Anything specific you want to know? :D

Back