My first tank - 60g

my leather is starting to open up! :D

003qd.jpg

002zm.jpg

Very nice! The 'mystery fish' is a flame angel. Good choice, very pretty, but some have a tendency to eat corals, so beware of that and keep an eye on it.

You are right about the zoanthid and leather corals. The one on the sand next to the leather is a long-tentacled plate coral. You will need to feed that one -- place some meaty foods on its tentacles and it should move the food to its mouth.

The last two corals you have -- the one in the front of the picture is a galaxea, which is one of my favorite corals. Very easy to keep. The ones behind appear to be frilly mushrooms, also easy.

Congrats!

One more thing, if you can, move that galaxea away from the other corals. At night, they put out stinging tentacles that are several inches long. They can harm other corals if they touch.

Thanks biffer :) good to know exactly what all of them are. So what should i be giving to the long tenticled plate coral?

Im really getting an addiction for this :D all i want to do is get more :D

Try to curve your addiction to wanting to learn more instead of buy more, that has seemed to work well for me so far! =P

and fyi, the archives section of these forums are amazingly packed full of info!

Try to curve your addiction to wanting to learn more instead of buy more,

Truer words have never been spoken...applaud.

Congrats on your new additions.They all look healthy.You got two maroon clowns and they are not fighting?Congrats,if so.

Yea, the two marroon clowns seem a little edgy at time, but they just follow each other around all day :D im happy with that.

And I ended up picking up a Duncan and a shrimp, because I know they dont really do much damage to the tank :)

thanks for advice, it is true, take it easy and learn more, so im sticking with my three fish for the next month. :)

As well, what food should i be picking up for all my corals and for the clown fish and flame angel? The LFS said that I can use the food I had for the seahorses which was small shrimps I think. but the clowns dont seem to like it too much.

and i dont really know anything about feeding corals as of yet.

The fish you have should readily take any type of frozen food -- they are not picky and they don't have special dietary requirements. You can try a few kinds and see what they like best. In any case, avoid flake and pellet foods. Those tend to lead to algae problems because of the preservatives they contain.

Alright, I think the food im using may just be a little big for them, they seem to ignore all the normal sized items and search for the broken up peices which are much smaller than most.

Reef i am fair lucky, I didnt know they were so violent towards each other :) but we will see how they go.

yeah =( my fish didn't like my pellets that well either at first... So I put them in a baggie and mashed em up with a hammer xP They gobbled it up after that ^_^

The fish you have should readily take any type of frozen food -- they are not picky and they don't have special dietary requirements. You can try a few kinds and see what they like best. In any case, avoid flake and pellet foods. Those tend to lead to algae problems because of the preservatives they contain.

Biff - what kind of food would you suggest other than flake or pellet; or is there a particular brand you recommend that doesn't have a high contribution to algae growth?

Frozen/refrigerated foods are not an option for automatic feeders when I'm traveling or gone for a while...

All this is good to know, but in an ideal world, what food should i put in for these fish and what food should i give the corals after this set has run out? out of the frozen foods at least.

I headed down to my LFS the other day, and picked up a couple of new peices for the tank,

The first one was the duncan, great looking coral and seems to be thriving in my tank! :D

and the other is the cleaning shrimp. He seems to hide a bit but comes out time to time. They looks so cool! cant wait to get a few more, but so expensive at 150 AUSD each! :O

028sd.jpg

026ki.jpg

sorry for the less than amazing photos lol

yea, I walked into the LFS, saw it, and just had to have it. gotta take it easy for a while, let everything settle in the tank and let the biolevel settle so there isnt too much stress :P

Re: My first tank - 60g - updated - what do you think?

I just attached and uploaded a pic of my current tank look, What do you guys think?

any suggestions? its the first time ive really spent time aquascaping, so any suggestions to keep corals on or make it look better would be appreciated :D

and do i need more live rock?

Attachments

• tank 002.jpg
    tank 002.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 273
Back