My first tank - 60g

That might be agood idea :) Im thinking I need to pick up a few more live rocks as well to make a more gradual rock wall. Just going to have to see what they got to fit my tank! :D

thanks biff :)

Woah, that's a lot of fish and corals added to a very young tank! Slow down or you're going to crash your tank. Your rock is looking good!

Welcome,
C

I havent added that many? the tank is two months old, I have 3 fish and 6 corals?

and 3 snails and 1 shrimp. I thought that was a little amount?

I was going to wait about 2-3 more weeks before putting my next couple of fish in.

You've done such a nice job of setting everything up, I would hate to see you go too fast at the beginning. Here is an excerpt from an article about adding fish in the beginning:

New-Tank Cycle (Ecological Break-in) Information:
Start with 25% of the total capacity of the aquarium in inches. Wait at least five weeks (six is better), and then test the water for ammonia and nitrite. If you do not get a zero reading for BOTH tests, do a 25% water change and wait another week. Continue this process until BOTH tests read zero. Then add no more than 50% of the inches of fish you already have in the tank (if you already have four inches of fish, only buy two inches more). Do a 25% water change before you add new fish, not immediately after. Do not add fish to the tank more frequently than every two to three weeks. Stock the tank to 90% of the total capacity. Then allow the growth of the fish you have to fill the aquarium to capacity.

I hope that helps.

Catherine

Yea, it does, but picasso, my tank had fully cycled after 3 weeks, for the next 3 weeks I had sea horses but they were not right for me, so the tank had been fully cycled and lightly packed.

Next, there were 3 fish placed along with a small cleaning crew and 6 corals.

The guy at my LFS, who is quite knowledgeable and passionate has been holding me back on fish, and ive listened. waiting another 2 weeks to add more fish.

But the corals dont add Bio load to the tank and neither does the CUC so these are safe to upgrade slowly.

Ive also been told im holding under 50% of my tanks capacity, so arent I doing the safe thing for my tank?

Alright, so im sitting on or just under 50%. Thats not too bad :)

its hard to pick fish for these tanks haha

You might want to do an ammonia and nitrite test in a day or two. Adding corals can affect your water's parameters. You might need to do an extra water change. I'm glad you've got a responsible LFS guy! Many of them just want to make sales and will tell you anything just to get you to buy more stuff. Your tank is looking great! Keep up the good work. :)

Catherine

Thanks picasso, Ill definitely do a good check in a couple of days and make sure things are up to scratch :)

he is quite good, been in the business 20 years, but he got so excited when I came in and had actually done research, so he gives me some extra attention. Where some other people dont care at all.

I guess, talk to them and be passionate and if they care about the hobby they will follow suit.

Very good for me to find out, my tank is 60g without the sump! So now after working it out, my tank is more like 80g! WOooo this is gonna be more fun ;)

here are a few picture updates of the tank,.

tank007.jpg

newtank003.jpg

newtank001.jpg

023jl.jpg

This shrimp is so much fun, he instantly starts cleaning my hand when I put it in!

its a great thing to watch specially for all the people who see the tank that dont have one :P

Thanks Brien, I was so close to not getting that shot! that shrimp only sits in the corner, never leaves it, must be shy

most shrimp are like that, when I had my cleaner shrimp I never saw it. The only reason I see my peppermints now is because I have 3 of them

Thanks yote :)

As some of you would have read. I had my first casualty, my clown jumped down my overflow and got chopped up in the skimmer!

but, this also means some more fish. Im going to take my remaining clown and exchange it for a pair of mated black and white clowns and also get a Cardinal.

Should be some great fun :D pictures coming on saturday, well your friday, when i get them :D

Josh, I'm noticing in your pictures that you don't have any of your powerheads rippling the surface of your tank. I've been told that this is important to help provide oxygen to your tank and it's inhabitants. You just want to angle one to make the surface rippling not shooting bubbles or anything. Your tank is looking great!

C

Back