My New 80 Gallon Acrylic, Got for $40 On Craigslist!!! ;)

quattro4444

Reefing newb
:^::^::^::^:

So I was searching Craigslist yesterday as usaul (1st thing on my list to do when I get into work...) I found someone moving out of there house and had an 80 Gallon Acrylic tank for sale for $40!!!

Everything went fine kind of a pain in my @ss draining it, but hey it was worth it!!! So I wanted to know if there is anything to worry about there are several super small cracks on the top layer of the acrylic... Sorry no pics, camera is missing in action... they are more like really fine hairline cracks on the top sheet of acrylic, all of them oare less then 1/4''... Should I be ok or can I have a top piece of acrylic replaced?

If anyone can help me with this possible dilemma I would be really appreciative!!!

Sean

it is called crazing. they are stress cracks. just keep an eye on them and if you want get a peice of acrylic from lowes and get some weldon on line and put it over the spost that are crazing to help reinforce them that is one reason i do not like acrylic tanks

Thanks for the quick reply!!! Well all of the crazing is located on the top sheet of acrylic on the tank so I will keep an eye on it... I didn't know if there was a way to replace that piece of acrylic...

there is no way to replace it since it is welded together. my old 50 finally cracked and so it is now my sump but i reinforced it with a sheet of acrylic so in hopes that it would not spread

Back