Mystery 8gal Nano Build

Hey, sorry guys, I was busy with writing a brief for the court of appeals and then sick in bed with a cold. I managed to build a little more of the tank and will post some of the pictures either tonight or tomorrow. I will probably have the rest of it built and posted before the end of the weekend. Thanks for being patient!

OK ok ... here is what I have so far.

After I went ahead and cut up the rocks using the same tool and bit, I mocked it up against the eggcrate to get an idea of how it'll look

Here is the result,

The Right
IMG_2161.jpg

From Above
IMG_2163.jpg

The Back
IMG_2165.jpg

The Left
IMG_2167.jpg

I then went ahead and cut the part of the rock which would sit flush with the eggcrate at different angles so that I get about a 90 degree angle on the bottom and more acute angles towards the top to make sure more of the rocks is visible when looking from the top as well as to allow for more light to penetrate to the bottom.

And now I went ahead placed one side on the floor and used the same epoxy to glue the rocks (allowing for 24 hours for each side to cure and set)

The Back
IMG_2170.jpg

Close Up
IMG_2171.jpg

The next day I did the right side
IMG_2172.jpg

After it had 24 hours to set, I checked to see if the rocks would hold in place

IMG_2174.jpg

IMG_2175.jpg

Then I went ahead and flipped the whole thing on its left side and epoxied the rocks to that side (because the rocks on the right side were creating a substantial weight, I had to place a plastic piece to hold it upright until the rocks cured so that it wouldnt break or stress the epoxy connecting the parts of the eggcrate)
IMG_2183.jpg

And example of how the epoxy is holding the rocks to the eggcrate
IMG_2185.jpg

The final products
IMG_2186.jpg

Left
IMG_2187.jpg

RIght
IMG_2188.jpg

Back
IMG_2189.jpg

And how the whole thing sits in the tank
IMG_2190.jpg

And the same from the top view
IMG_2191.jpg

So this is what I have so far... this weekend I will be trying the next step (foaming the wall in; which I have never done before) Here is hoping that it turns out the way I envisioned it.

OK guys, I apologize for keeping you guys in suspense so much more than promised. Ive just been swamped recently and honestly, working on two tanks is soooo much more time consuming than just one... especially since I dont want my main one to lose out....

Anyways, a huge update this time.

To foam the wall, I found some styrofoam (lol so much foam) to prop it up on so that it doest get glued down to the ground
IMG_2286.jpg

IMG_2287.jpg

This is the stuff I used to foam the wall
IMG_2288.jpg

I highly recommend wearing latex gloves because this stuff does not get off your hands for days
IMG_2289.jpg

IMG_2290.jpg

This is the tube the foam is dispensed, but luckily for me, the seal was broken and it would just squirt out the side... so I had to put the foam in my hand and dab it all over the eggcrate
IMG_2292.jpg

after a little, it started to foam out of the tube, and I began applying it that way, here is the end result
IMG_2293.jpg

Close Up
IMG_2294.jpg

I noticed that the spots that I applied by hand did not create as round of a foam and had a more realistic look, so the big "boulders" had to go

I used an X-Acto knife and my fingers to cut up and rip off all the big pieces
IMG_2296.jpg

IMG_2297.jpg

and also to clear up the rocks a little, which got swallowed up by the foam
IMG_2298.jpg

The extra foam I took off
IMG_2299.jpg

So back to try again, I used the foam and sprayed it into my hand (with gloves) and dabbed it on the parts where I picked off the foam. I also sprayed the back sides of the wall to get it more sealed.

QUICK TIP: if you use a water spray bottle and spray the foam while its drying, it speeds up the curing process and keeps it from expanding as much.

Compare the back where I left it alone
IMG_2304.jpg

And the front which I sprayed with water
IMG_2303.jpg

Now I had to go ahead and remove all the extra foam from the back sides so that it can fit flush in the tank

Using a serrated blade made the process easier because it let me "saw" through the extra foam
IMG_2305.jpg

IMG_2306.jpg

And the final product
IMG_2307.jpg

So I cleaned up the tank, and set everything back up to start the cycle
IMG_2308.jpg

I used this timer from Home Depot for the lights
IMG_2309.jpg

Finally everything in place
IMG_2310.jpg

Added the saltwater and a piece of LR from my display tank
IMG_2311.jpg

FTS
IMG_2313.jpg

The next morning when I woke up, I noticed that the left side of the rock wall skewed a bit and did not fit as flush to the tank as Id like it to
IMG_2314.jpg

Compare to the right
IMG_2315.jpg

SOLUTION 1: Add a brace on the bottom
IMG_2316.jpg

I went ahead and cut up some extra eggcrate, used the x-acto to cut out some foam and then glued it in place with crazy glue

That helped get the bottom to sit more flush, but the top still sticked away a bit.

SOLUTION 2: use spare pieces of foam and glue them in
IMG_2317.jpg

That helped a bit, but there was still a gap..

SOLUTION 3 (the one I did not want to do): Add extra foam to the top parts
IMG_2329.jpg

After cutting the foam with more left over, it helped a lot to close the gap
The left
IMG_2323.jpg

The right
IMG_2322.jpg

The return
IMG_2327.jpg

The overflow
IMG_2328.jpg

How it looks from the outside
IMG_2329.jpg

IMG_2331.jpg

and FTS
IMG_2325.jpg

When I added the foam, it made the brace too wide and really tough to fit the foam in the tank, so I pulled it out AGAIN, adjusted the brace to be less wide
IMG_2333.jpg

IMG_2334.jpg

After a final fitting to make sure everything was smooth, I epoxied the brace in place
IMG_2335.jpg

IMG_2336.jpg

Now to add some more rock, my local LFS (coral collection) buys their coral aquacultured on these manmade rock pieces
IMG_2339.jpg

So far I dont have all the pieces, but I epoxied the ones I had to the rock wall
IMG_2340.jpg

IMG_2341.jpg

After the rockwall was back in the tank, I added sand to cover up the brace
IMG_2342.jpg

FTS - 3/28/12
IMG_2343.jpg

The next day when the sand settled down it looked great!
FTS - 3/29/12
IMG_2348.jpg

Its a very neat idea, gotta admit you did a great job. It looks good, not sure if id like only having the one side to see through, but to each their own. Very creative. Will the black foam stuff change colour eventually?

Its a very neat idea, gotta admit you did a great job. It looks good, not sure if id like only having the one side to see through, but to each their own. Very creative. Will the black foam stuff change colour eventually?

It does not change color. But coralline will cover it up...

Also, this is what I'm doing with the tank - a zoa and paly garden. So eventually, it'll be covered with colanie and polyps, and you won't see any of it.

Back