new 75 setup

dixonstanley50

Reefing newb
hi all!! were finally upgrading to a 75 gallon and turning the 30 into a refugeum, and an old 20 for a sump! so i guess my qustion is what is the ideal schematic for these tanks to be hooked together? also are there any recomended fish for the fuge that are pretty but wont hurt the pods?PS im very excited i cant wait for the new setup:)

I have a similar setup with a 55 sump and 30 refugium.. I tried a few different ways the best way "I" found was to put an overflow on the 30 and dump it into the 55..
I drilled my last 30 worked well but when I upgraded to a 55 sump I didnt have the clearence to raise the tank enough to let where I drilled it be above the top of the other so it would dump in..

I have been using it about 6 mos now and have to admit it really does work really smoothly, that and I did have a couple issues with a couple snails getting stuck in the drain line when I drilled it so make sure you make a big enough hole if you go that route. i wouldnt trust pumping it from tank to tank that is really a disaster waiting to happen ..IMO

I would go with this pump with either the 7 or 9.5 .. then put a ball valve after the pump so you can adjust the flow if it is to strong for the overflow.. remember with restrictions from piping height and elbows it will slow the flow from the pump you get..

Back