New Guy New Tank

Yea just to be sure mate, throw a table shrimp in, im sure you would rather wait a little while longer than have multiple deaths in your tank.

k I will thx. but my sand in making holes due to the 2 power heads, where should they be placed so they dont stir up the sand?
I have them both in the back pointed towards the front of the glass.

k I will thx. but my sand in making holes due to the 2 power heads, where should they be placed so they dont stir up the sand?
I have them both in the back pointed towards the front of the glass.

It's hard for someone to tell you where to put your powerheads, the best spot will be different for everyone, depending on how their whole tank is setup. Just trying making adjustments to where they're facing till you find a setup that works for your tank.

Thank you everybody I so appreciate all the advice and help. I am the new of new to this. The more the advice the better I will take it all.

Just a fast pic of the foggy tank ;-)

Attachments

• IMG_5537.jpg
    IMG_5537.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 246
very nice, at least I'm sure it will be. I use a slightly larger grain size in my sand so it doesn't blow around. You can even mix it together to get a balance.

Hey there and welcome to the site, I'm not usually one to post very often but I thought I could provide some insight with you may find useful.

I'm currently Living in Ottawa, but I started my reef tank adventures in Sudbury about 5 Years ago (I’ve only moved to Ottawa within the last 9 months) and let me tell you, getting accurate information and equipment in Sudbury is difficult.

There are two LFS in Sudbury, Tropics North and Peter's Reef Pond which are great for live stock.

Tropics North: - I believe is just off Lorne Street.
Can usually get you anything you're looking for to put IN your tank but the selection in store is usually pretty slim.
The staff isn't super knowledgeable about salt and have their own opinions on how to do things. Judging by the fact you’re running crushed coral in your tank I’d assume you went there first. The owner does dabble in the hobby and believes the majority of current technologies (i.e. Sumps, substrate selection, filtration media, etc) are all a fad and you can get away with more basic equipment... I remember he tried to sell me on a under gravel filtration system for my 125... Which is not advisable. In some ways his point is valid in that you can build in expensive systems using less than stellar equipment, however to old adage is true even in this hobby, you get what you pay for. Some of the more elaborate systems you see have had thousands - tens of thousands of dollars invested and you can see the results.

Peter's Reef Pond.
This store is more specialized toward reef tanks and tropical fish, they normally have a large selection of LPS (large stony Polyp) Corals and fish, I should also mention this is a great place to get cleaning crews for your tank as they always have a large selection of shrimp, snails and crabs.
I've found the staff here is normally more knowledgeable about the hobby however they have a pompous feel to them, this holier than thou attitude toward your understanding of the hobby, but that is easily overlooked when you see their live stock (impressive). Furthermore I would suggest taking water samples to Peter's Reef Pond. They do in house water quality testing and log it for you over the life of your tank. Most reefers do this themselves, but when you're new to the hobby it’s very helpful to have a hand with some of the chemistry involved.

All that being said I found I did the majority of my equipment shopping elese where, these stores are great for stock and advice, however when you need pumps, filters, tanks, glass, lights, acrylic, etc... Your best friend will be a lot of the local construction shops. You may not think Sudbury has much to offer by way of reef keeping but the city is so heavy on industry for the mines that if you need something industrial, its local and CHEAP!.

don't hesitate to fire me questions or emails any time, I’ve lived through exactly where you're at and could probably be of some help. [email protected].

Cheers and good luck!

Harder then I thought. I'm trying to find nice colors for my reef tank that can be mixed with my clownfish and Carpet Anemone.

So...
1-Foxface Lo
1-Azure Damselfish
2-Clown fish
And ?

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT put a Carpet Anemone in your tank. You system is way to new to adequately sustain the nem. You should wait at least a year for that tank to mature before you consider one. Also, Carpets are the most aggressive on the Anemone family. They can and will eat fish that wander to closely to them.

Good luck, and welcome to the site.

Kind of sad, just went to LFS and had my water tested to find out im not ready for fish. still cycling. So I will try again next Saturday.

Nice rock, like the holes. Crossing my fingers for your results. Are you going to get your own test kit?
Hope you can add something today! Let us know...

Not perfect results but enough for some CUC ;-) YAY.

1 Halloween Crab (for the season)
1 Blue Crab
7 Snails
2 Cleaner Shrimp

Attachments

• IMG_5695.jpg
    IMG_5695.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_5696.jpg
    IMG_5696.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_5698.jpg