New Mushroom Added

Can you send me your credit card ? :rofl: So, the housing is different ? Is it the ones that sit above the tank ?

it is just the wattage they push my 48in t5s are 54w each a 48in t8 is 40w they use different balasts maybe you could get a no t5 but you will still have a problem putting the bulb in since the pins are a lot smaller and closer together on a t5 bulb

i have 8 54w bulbs on my 75 you are going to want at least 6 bulbs with individual reflectors i got mine from catilina aquariums.

So, for my 90 gallon tank, how many watts would I need ? I'm looking on Ebay, they have a 216 watt for $104.95.

that is only 4 bulbs. just a bit over 2w per gallon i still think you need more light than that but it will defenatly be better than the NO lights you have now

The cheapest 6 light I could find is $353.54. It mounts on the aquarium. All this for a 40 dollar mushroom..... I'm still thinking....

Wait, you paid $40 for a mushroom? What kind of mushroom is it?!?! Usually they are less than $5 apiece, the more common colored ones are around $1 apiece.

Wait, you paid $40 for a mushroom? What kind of mushroom is it?!?! Usually they are less than $5 apiece, the more common colored ones are around $1 apiece.

Drives me crazy..I live right next to the damn coast, almost in mexico..not sure where these corals come from but if they are from the carribean I'm going to be pissed. A rock with 2 small shrooms goes for 40-60$ here.

Unfortunately these guys are probably right. You can either try to take the coral back, invest in some lighting, or give it a go and see if it'll work out. I've heard that they are very hardy so you never really know.

There are probably 7-8 on this rock. I still don't know what to do. I'm giving myself a headache.... I have it on the highest rock closest to the light. We have another saltwater place close by, he's a lot cheaper, but he's closed during the summer.

You've basically got 2 choices.
#1 Cough up the cash for some lights.
or
#2 Return the mushrooms.

4 VHOs like Mikes got would be plenty of light for em.T-5s are great lights,but the aint gonna work in your fixture.T-5 bulbs are only 5/8" where your T-8s are 1" bulbs.Plus the wattages and ballasts are different.One wont fire the other.
Theres an old saying that really hold true in this hobby.If your gonna play,your gonna have to pay;cheers:

ok sunshine I am gonna get everyone mad at me because they are knock off fixtures but look at http://shop.aquatraders.com/T5-High-Output-Aquarium-Light-s/9.htm I bought the special $99 mh pendent combo about 2 weeks ago from them. I think my tank has never looked better. I know the quality supposedly isnt as good as the name brand guys but i have the 150 mh pendent combo a hob fuge w/13 inch 24 watt pc light on it all from them. The pc light is very comparable to the current satilight 40 watt that I use to run (its gonna go on the 10 gal nano build) just passing the info along I dont know what your finances look like but for me it works out ok. For me if it gets me a year further along I should be better able to upgrade to the high dollar fixtures or I can gut it later and retrofit it.

Back