New Mushroom Added

So in short, the reason they sell their lights so cheap is because they have to. Among people knowledgeable of Aquatraders/Odyssea, there's no way they could compete with other companies with their products' reputation and history of catching fire, so they have to make their product so cheap that they attract people that don't want to pay for other brands. And they're made in China, so they are cheaper to begin with.

Since they supposedly have fixed the problem, I'd say it's probably okay to buy their lights, but I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with a set of Odysseas in my house.
QUOTE]

That's exactly what I needed to know; while I wouldn't feel comfortable either owning them, at least now I would be able to prepare myself for the possible dangers if I indeed ended up buying a set-up myself

i have thought about buying one and i still might since someone is always home. i just love mh lights. but my t5s do just fine also

Before you get those you should talk to Ndpratt, he might be able to get you a better price; he's always talking about how LR members get 10% off or something, and I'm pretty sure he sells those light too.

Yes, the 48 inch one.

Before you get those you should talk to Ndpratt, he might be able to get you a better price; he's always talking about how LR members get 10% off or something, and I'm pretty sure he sells those light too.
OK.....I'll see what he says....

ok I have a question. Why in the heck would a guy whos suppose to be rich be buying knock off lights? The report said either it was the light or a faulty pump. Wonder which one. Does anyone have another link that goes into more detail?

After reading this thread I just did a few hours research on the odyssea fixtures. Mainly referring to the 48" 2x250W M/H with the 4 pcs and to summarize, this is a great buy for someone who is not scared to do some handy work. First off, the stock ballasts do not put out 250W and if you plan on upgrading to better 250W bulbs than what come with the fixture they probably won't fire up and your going to either have to replace the ballasts or if your real handy there is a inexpensive way to mod the stock ones at nanoreefs.com so that they will do what they are suppose to in the first place. I also saw lots of complaints about the mounting legs being cheap or flimsy and a few complaints about the wiring other than that people are pleased with them. Personally, I think for now I rather shell out the extra $ for the current usa with only 150W per bulb bcuz I'm extremely lazy and far from handy as well as I don't like to worry about stuff. Hope that helps!

I messaged him, he said he couldn't beat that price. So, I'll wait till I get paid Friday and order it. Thanks...

I too am looking for some lighting but for a 40 gallon hex tank...I am not ready for corals yet but will be in thr not o distant future. With the odd shape of the tank and it being so tall, any suggestions? Any help would be greatly aprriciated! Thanks!

How long do you leave the light on ? Right now, I leave it on 6 hours. Didn't know if it was any different if you have corals.

I have spent a heck of alot of time looking through all the press clippings on tracy morgans fish tank fire. I cant find anywhere where they actually give a name brand of the lights. The only thing I can find is a light bulb broke which caused a short. Sounds like he didnt have a gfci outlet. Know how can people blame Odyssea on that, seems to me if anyone has some extra money laying around do a test. Buy a cheap light and the most expensive one throw water on it until the bulb blows and see if they dont both catch fire.

I just wanted an update from Sunshine on how the lights turned out? Are they great? Which ones did you decide to go with? I am just wondering because I am also shopping around for some new lights and am tossing up the idea of the Odyssea lights or the Nova lights. My only dilema is that I can get more wattage from the Odyssea lights than from the Nova. I am am wanting to add an anemone to my tank so I need to upgrade my lights. Right now I am WAY under wattage.

I went with Nova Extreme Pro T5HO 6 bulbs. I got mine at Petmountain for $353.
They are good. I have them on a timer. My only problem is, my Anemone keeps hiding under the rocks, we are working on that problem in a different thread. Not sure if it's the lighting or what. But, I do love the lights. I like the look of the light fixture on top of the tank.

Back