New Mushroom Added

see what I mean.... The thing runs very cool to the touch. It does get hotter then the pc's but not a pull away shaking your hand kinda hot. I checked out all the wiring and connections before I installed it and to be honest its better then most of the wiring in this old house. I have the ballast on a table by the tank with nothing else on it. A fan just for the ballast just in case. I also have a clip on fan blowing on the tank/light plus it has a fan on the fixture. Anyway if this place burns I think it will be from the wiring in the walls and not the tank.

Okay maybe I over reacted a little. Just a little, though.
lol if it burns ill roast hot dogs. Thats what insurance is for right? Might save me some headaches anyway. I need to replace the siding soon am just waiting for it to get cooler for that one.

so what's the bad news with those guys...duh I know, you get what you pay for, but at the same time (coming from a sales background) manufacturers will charge what customers are willing to pay...secondly, (i know I've said this before), if you take a piece of crap wine and charge $2 for it, then put in the same bottle but with a prettier label, mark limited edition, and charge $25 for it, people will think its the best hooch they've ever tasted.

Sooooo....did aquatraders burn somebody's house down; do they use baby seals and puppies for materials while little kids from south america put them together; or do they mark an incadescent 75W bulb with a blue tint as a 600W Metal Halide?

P.S. sorry to steal the thread, but I'm sure you may want to hear this too.

Yup! Many ballasts caught fire.
They have fixed all that though. Ted I myself was going to get a combo unit from them but didn't because I wanted T5's and not power compacts with my MH's. I don't think there is really anything wrong with them at all. Others will disagree, your right. Snobs!

so what's the bad news with those guys...duh I know, you get what you pay for, but at the same time (coming from a sales background) manufacturers will charge what customers are willing to pay...secondly, (i know I've said this before), if you take a piece of crap wine and charge $2 for it, then put in the same bottle but with a prettier label, mark limited edition, and charge $25 for it, people will think its the best hooch they've ever tasted.

Sooooo....did aquatraders burn somebody's house down; do they use baby seals and puppies for materials while little kids from south america put them together; or do they mark an incadescent 75W bulb with a blue tint as a 600W Metal Halide?

P.S. sorry to steal the thread, but I'm sure you may want to hear this too.
Theres number 2 lol. Hmm those wire connections did kinda smell like baby seal. I will have to pay more attention the next time I go on the baby seal bashing cruise. :mrgreen:

Yup! Many ballasts caught fire.
They have fixed all that though. Ted I myself was going to get a combo unit from them but didn't because I wanted T5's and not power compacts with my MH's. I don't think there is really anything wrong with them at all. Others will disagree, your right. Snobs!
The one I got has t-5's not pc's the cheapest mh fixture is a t-5 combo worked out great for me.

Theres number 2 lol. Hmm those wire connections did kinda smell like baby seal. I will have to pay more attention the next time I go on the baby seal bashing cruise. :mrgreen:

I wasn't bashing your purchase...I'm curious why others would bash it though other than the ballasts catching fire as DC mentioned...is there anything else because for $170 I'd be getting a much better lighting set-up from them than I currently have and I paid like $180 for mine.

I don't know if anyone on this site has money to throw away, and if you do my adress is 555 Magnolia St.....:mrgreen: ....what was I talking about? Oh ya, none of us can spend a :pooh: of money on this hobby because if we could, we would have someone else do it for us, but since we're all trying to work within our means...does Aquatrader do the job at half the price? What am I really gaining by spending $500 on a parking lot light with some shiny mirror/sheat metal behind it?

ya its a 150 watt mh with 2 14 watt t-5 actinic the mh is 15000 k actually looks really good gets a nice shimmer effect. I want to start adding corals but had to get a new hot water heater instead. Dang wife likes hot showers. I keep telling her if she wants heat go outside but what do I know.

Wow. I thought their fixtures only had pc's in them. I could have save over half of what I spent on my Current Outer Orbit. That sucks!

That would work at a fraction of the cost. But you could just stretch the garden hose out and leave it full of water and then she could just shower in the backyard. Heck it's all just water, right.

...and you can tell that women love to use it...look at how much fun the girl in the bikini is having :lol:

I tried that I have one of those in the camping gear. She asked me how I liked the couch for a bed. So she wins got the hot water heater. Then I had to redo the dang copper lines feeding the thing was a all day job.

...ouch, no fun

Thanks Ted, I went to the site, they are out of stock on them. I will keep checking back. They are a lot cheaper. Thanks for the info.

Aquatraders lights are cheap, but they had a problem with their ballasts catching fire, and several housefires and lawsuits resulted. The company that made the lighs (Odyssea) was forced to change its name and be "reborn" so they could stay in business, because they had such a bad reputation tainted with the lawsuits and stuff. The Odyssea lights that Aquatraders sells are considered cheap Chinese knock offs, and in the last couple years I haven't heard too much about fires, and they say that they found and fixed the problem with their flaming lights...

So in short, the reason they sell their lights so cheap is because they have to. Among people knowledgeable of Aquatraders/Odyssea, there's no way they could compete with other companies with their products' reputation and history of catching fire, so they have to make their product so cheap that they attract people that don't want to pay for other brands. And they're made in China, so they are cheaper to begin with.

Since they supposedly have fixed the problem, I'd say it's probably okay to buy their lights, but I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with a set of Odysseas in my house.

Do you guys remember just a few months ago comedian Tracy Morgan's really expensive apartment catching fire because of his fish tank? Turns out those were Aquatraders lights.

Last edited:
Back