New tank inhabitants with pictures!

:bounce::bounce::bounce:New stuff new stuff new stuff!:bounce::bounce::bounce:

Okay so I FINALLY got my skimmer. I was going to get a reef octopus but I found this neat little HOB eshopps PKS-75H. The reviews on it were awesome, the size is great and it works perfect. Super duper quiet and after half a day, I already see a little brown gunk collecting in the cup. I totally recommend this, it is simple to use and the pump doesn't get hot. My tank is doing awesome, I mounted my PC4 so they aren't sitting on the carpet anymore. I tried putting the skimmer in my sump but got owned by the height of the thing. 23 inches needed plus cup clearance, not happening. So I stuck it behind the tank and all is well, it isn't really noticeable, you can only see the cup.

I am thinking of getting one of those canister filters, I know my sump and LR are filters and it doesn't make sense to put a filter in your filter, but they can react carbon and stuff which seems kinda useful for only like $150. Or maybe I'll get a BRS reactor, I'm not sure yet. Anyhoo here are some pictures =D
:sfish::sfish::sfish::sfish::sfish::sfish::sfish::sfish:

Attachments

• skimmertoosmall.jpg
    skimmertoosmall.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 176
  • hangingskimmer.jpg
    hangingskimmer.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 214
  • skimmerr.jpg
    skimmerr.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 183
  • newstuff.jpg
    newstuff.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 212
Unless you clean them weekly, they are going to become a nitrate factory. Also why dont use the money to get yourself a nice reactor that you run carbon, GFO or biopellets in? That would be a much more useful piece of equipment

Unless you clean them weekly, they are going to become a nitrate factory. Also why dont use the money to get yourself a nice reactor that you run carbon, GFO or biopellets in? That would be a much more useful piece of equipment

Are two little fishes reactors any good?

i think so, but im not really sure. I think you should decide what you want to run, and then make sure you can get the right kind of flow through the reactor. I would ask Fast about it, he knows his equipment stuff way better than I do

i think so, but im not really sure. I think you should decide what you want to run, and then make sure you can get the right kind of flow through the reactor. I would ask Fast about it, he knows his equipment stuff way better than I do

BRS dual reactor look nice as well, do you use one? And thanks I will ask him.

No, i dont have any room to run that stuff, and I havent found a need for it. My scubber does everything I want. I kinda want to hook up a dosing system, but i dont really have the room due the fact i have the shittiest stand in existence.

No, i dont have any room to run that stuff, and I havent found a need for it. My scubber does everything I want. I kinda want to hook up a dosing system, but i dont really have the room due the fact i have the shittiest stand in existence.

My stand is also a piece of shit, wrought iron FTL. My power strips are held up by fishing line and i use a brick to hold my sump light and half my shit was in chinese so i couldn't read anything so everything is bs'd. But it works lol. Anyhoo, I will look into reactors, carbon is probably the best idea.

What do you think of the canister filter idea to run the carbon? Seems like more bang for my buck I get extra filtration and run carbon for cheaper than a carbon reactor and pump. As long as I keep after changing the media should be kewl right?

well, there are reasons why people consistently choose reactors over canister filters, they just work better. Also i wouldnt run carbon anyways, other than polishing the water and helping with odor (which really should be an issue anyways) it really dont do much. You are better off using GFO to deal with phosphates, or biopellets to deal with nitrates, phosphates etc.

However, instead of assuming that you need more filtration, why dont you keep that money in your pocket and wait and see. If you dont need it, then you can get yourself a groovy new coral

I was wondering about this too. Except kinda different...

In my 110 I had have a BRS GFO reactor which pretty much ended my phosphate problem. The GFO needs to be replaced so I order some Seachem sea gel and I'm going to try that in the reactor. But the thing is, in my 75, I want to be able to run carbon and phosphate removal media but I don't really have much room for a reactor. I have some of these. Would they work as well or close to as well as a rector?

I was wondering about this too. Except kinda different...

In my 110 I had have a BRS GFO reactor which pretty much ended my phosphate problem. The GFO needs to be replaced so I order some Seachem sea gel and I'm going to try that in the reactor. But the thing is, in my 75, I want to be able to run carbon and phosphate removal media but I don't really have much room for a reactor. I have some of these. Would they work as well or close to as well as a rector?

From what I read last night and today, those filter bags are crap compared to the reactors. The reactors power the media and really mash the stuff together, which is how it gets so clean. The canister filter can be put like 10 feet away from the sump, and it is wicked easy to clean and replace media. Just hit a button and change it out. I like the canisters too because some have a little computer built in that reminds you to change media, and tells you the status of the media you have. Would be really nice to know when my carbon and GFO was about to bite the dust. I may try both of them, just to see how good they work, because the canister filter I was looking at was only $100. If it turns out I don't like it, I'll just keep it for a future build or as a backup or something. I'm sure it would come in handy eventually. I probably won't order the BRS Dual reactor, I will get two of the BRS singles because I may want to mount them differently or move them, and if I upgrade to a bigger tank and stuff, I am not sure how much spare room I would have. I still want the reefkeeper and vortech powerheads, but that adds a lot of stuff (and costs a lot of money). If you decide to try the canister filter before I do, let me know how it works for you.

Well which canister filter were you looking at? Does it have the computer like you mentioned? I'd rather spend $100 on that rather than a reactor. Filter media should be cleaned often anyway. ;)

Well which canister filter were you looking at? Does it have the computer like you mentioned? I'd rather spend $100 on that rather than a reactor. Filter media should be cleaned often anyway. ;)

I think it was a marineland and the computer was like a reefkeeper, and optional. I'll go back to my LFS and check it out, I only got to see it for a minute.

Got this baby today, coralife dual 65w actinic/10000k white power compacts. Zooooooooooooooooommmmmmmmm.

Attachments

• newlightfts.jpg
    newlightfts.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 197
Back