New tank inhabitants with pictures!

Re: Amba's 29 Gallon Invert Extravaganza!

If that is salt I see in the bottom of the tank you are making a mistake. ALWAYS add the water first and then the salt.

Do you add the water first in water changes too? No wonder I always have trouble dissolving the salt. :-?

Do you add the water first in water changes too? No wonder I always have trouble dissolving the salt. :-?

I mix it in a bucket. You should never mix your water changes in the aquarium itself, add the salt to the warm water it will dissolve.

I mix it in a bucket. You should never mix your water changes in the aquarium itself, add the salt to the warm water it will dissolve.

I always put the salt in the 30 gallon container then add the RO/DI water, which is probably about 65 degrees.

So I should get the water to 76-78 degrees, then add the salt?

I always put the salt in the 30 gallon container then add the RO/DI water, which is probably about 65 degrees.

So I should get the water to 76-78 degrees, then add the salt?

Most solids dissolve better the warmer the solution, but I don't think it would be worth the hassle to heat the water. Unless your RO/DI water gets put in a container that has a heater (which is what I'm doing for mine) so then when I add the water using my ATO it will be the same temperature as the water of my tank.

Some updates;

I had good luck with the teeny figure 8 puffer I got. Unfortunately, my eel was getting a little big for my tank, and since I'm working on the 29 gallon reef, and hopefully having a bigger aggressive at some point, I decided to sell the setup. So I sold Halo and the tank setup to my aunt and uncle.

I purchased a 2 gallon tank, an AQUALIFTER, and another air pump. I rigged the air pump to my stand and the 2 gallon sits next to an empty space where my sump will go shortly. This will be my little brine shrimp/copepod farm and will automatically be dosed into my sump every 28 hours.

My overflow will FINALLY be here on thursday. I'll have the sump by then so I can FINALLY finish this tank this coming weekend.

I dosed my tank with copepods, and added a mandarin. I read and heard that 10 lbs of live rock is plenty to keep a mandarin healthy, but I added the pods just in case. I thought about inverting a strawberry basket so they can hide and breed but I went with the 2 gallon tank instead. He seems really happy.

So I should have finished pics up this weekend. Here are a couple I got this morning with my iPhone.

My 10 gallon is doing great, my flame scallop found a place he really likes and is doing well as far as I can tell. Fire shrimp and crabs are all well and good. My psuedo is still a nutcase but is healthy! I am probably going to empty my fluval and convert to salt, it's REALLY boring as a freshwater tank.

More to come soon xD

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 218
  • 2gal.jpg
    2gal.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 207
Some pictures of things I got today at the ABC frag swap, also my Overflow and return pump came in the mail. My sump is done. =D

Attachments

• ZOA1.jpg
    ZOA1.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 214
  • overflow.jpg
    overflow.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 246
  • ZOAS2.jpg
    ZOAS2.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 221
  • ZOAS3.jpg
    ZOAS3.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 210
  • ZOAS4.jpg
    ZOAS4.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 229
Nice peices! Looks like you like zoas and palys? Haha idk if the guy was still there when you went but this guy had his frag tank set up crammed full of zoas of like every color! I didn't even know what to pick! I ended up getting these ones called lord of the rings. Pretty cool.

Nice peices! Looks like you like zoas and palys? Haha idk if the guy was still there when you went but this guy had his frag tank set up crammed full of zoas of like every color! I didn't even know what to pick! I ended up getting these ones called lord of the rings. Pretty cool.

It was AWESOME wasnt it? I got all zoas and polyps and I saw who you're talking about he had a TON of frags haha.

:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:I has a sump! :bounce::bounce::bounce:I just gotta slide in the baffles but the sump and plumbing are DONE! The sponges in there are just to keep the noise down for a bit. Believe it or not, the system is actually nearly silent with the submersible pump, overflow, and all the other stuff running (apart from the water hitting the sump in the drain). It's been running for about two hours, and the water levels in both the display and the sump have not changed, which is something I was a bit nervous about. The JBJ ATO should be here on Wednesday (says fedex) and the PC4's should be here Tuesday. The rest of my stuff will come later in the week or Monday of next week. I took a couple more pics of my frags and stuff. :bounce::bounce::bounce:

Attachments

• 11.21.11.1.jpg
    11.21.11.1.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 202
  • 11.21.11.2.jpg
    11.21.11.2.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 200
  • 11.21.11.3.jpg
    11.21.11.3.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 199
  • 11.21.11.4.jpg
    11.21.11.4.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 206
  • 11.21.11.5.jpg
    11.21.11.5.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 224
Got my ATO in the mail, it is a really great piece of gear. I set it up with one float switch to be the main level monitor, and mounted the other one upside down so if the water level goes too high it will trip the switch and the 'fail safe' for the pump will shut off causing no flooding =D

Tank is doing good, all parameters still stable. Hopefully more stuffs in the mail this week. My tank is growing, my bank account is shrinking eek.

All my frags seem to be doing good as well, stuck them all in cracks in crevice and they haven't moved since I put them in last week so life is good!

Attachments

• FLOATSWITCHES.jpg
    FLOATSWITCHES.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 193
  • ATO.jpg
    ATO.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 204
Back