New to the hobby.

Good!

Look into the dwarf angels, wrasses or gobies. But with the dwarf angels and some of the wrasses you have to check and see if they are reef safe, some are not at all, and some you can get lucky on. With the wrasses and gobies you will need a lid, because they are criminal jumpers!

:O
I may have missed it, but what ever came of that Aptasia?
Also, your setup looks pretty dang good!
Have you started a build thread yet?

The aptasia disappeared when I got the peppermint shrimp and I moved the rocks around.
I didn't do a build thread when I started because I wasn't sure how it was going to go. I do have a pretty complete set of pictures from the beginning.

I am getting ready to switch over to led lights. Here is the unit I am going to.

Evolution LED [120 Watt] 1G

LED_120Watt_1G.jpg

Available in either 2:1 or 1:1 ratios. [Blue/White]
Features:
  • Wide-screen design, big face for LED to emit more effective light.
  • Two [2] year warranty through Evolution LED located in Colorado.
  • Three [3] quality fans on reverse side to run against heat.
  • Two [2] power cords to separate blue and white
  • Hanging hardware included.
  • 50,000 hours lifespan
Technical Specifications:
Power Consumption120 WattsLED Color460nm Blue | Warm WhiteHousing ColorBlackLED View Angle90 DegreesDimensions16” x 8.5” x 2.75” Weight10 lbs.Model NumberE-120W-1G-2:1 E-120W-1G-1:1

Ok I have a few new questions. When I got the tank it came with crushed coral substrate and I kept it not knowing better. Everything I am reading on here is saying that CC is not good. If I was going to change it out to sand would I just put all the critters and the live rock in buckets and remove the CC? Then add the sand? Any help would be appreciated.

I would get a big tube and suck out small section of your substrate, so you totally remove over the period of a few weeks. Then i would get the sand you want to replace it with, wash it well, and then put it right in. You can dump it down a tube (kinda hard) or scoop it in.

I have to say I am a little freaked out about trying to switch substrates without causing a big spike. Best to add sand as I remove cc or wait until I get as much rock as I can out then add the sand?

Just suck out a little section of your substrate every water change. That way you dont stir up too much at once. I would space out removing it over the course of a month.

Back