New with some questions (photos too)

Well how would I go about covering the lights without covering the tank, like just a piece of acryllic that covers the direct area beneath the light

Anyone ever cared for a many banded pipefish? I think they look awesome and was wondering how easy they are to take care of in a reef tank.

All right so I guess this is a good sign, I looked at my tank just a couple minutes ago and noticed brown diatom algae all over the sand and rocks so I guess the cycling is going well. The ammonia levels are good too, now up to 1.0 ppm

So I noticed there have been many bubbles forming on and under parts of the live rock and slowly bubbling to the surface over time. Does this have to do with the bacteria process?

Could be.But it could also be air that got trapped in the rock while you were aquascaping.
I wouldnt worry about it,it'll be gone in a day or 2.

No I'm not trying to rush it I'm just making sure everything is going ok. Actually, the bubbles are due to algae, I came home today and since earlier today there has been significant (green algae) growth on the live rock and a little bit on the front of the tank. Looks kind of like hair, so I'm guessing hair algae which is usually undesirable. I'm guessing this is also part of the cycling process and that I should show no concern? I also know the bubbles are from that because they are quite large and some look like they attached to some of the algae and they exist wherever most of the algae is.

So here is the ammonia trend so far:
9/19: 0 ppm
9/20: 0.25 (Cocktail shrimp added)
9/21: 0.50
9/22: 1.0
9/23: 0.50

btw the rock was added on 9/17 at which point I had not ammonia test kit.

So maybe I should go get a nitrite test kit?

Here are the pictures:
DSC05158.jpg

DSC05159.jpg

DSC05161.jpg

Closeup on the koralia pump:
DSC05160.jpg

Last edited:
Which means what?? Is this normal or not???? Do I need to do anything or should I just let the tank carry on it's course?? Please let me know ASAP.

Last edited:
well if it was me I would be running a skimmer 24 7 now I would also start running some carbon need to get the docs down. Also turn off the lights you are just feeding bad algae. As soon as the cycle has completed get some cuc in there lots of hermits and snails. I would also scrape the glass and try to pull what you can off the rocks by hand. Just what I would do.

A carbon filter, well you see I'm using the berlin method, so only protein skimmer and live rock. Well I'll turn the protein skimmer back on, but I've read on forums and other places that this is natural, first diatoms (which happened the other day) and that is replaced by green algae which will usually go away. But to be safe I'll talk to the guy who I bought the rock from cause I can't seem to get consistent answers on half this stuff, seems to me mostly opinion which isn't that helpful.

the berlin method is a good way to go. However you will need to occasionally run carbon to lower docs. You can just drop a bag into the sump or if you like (and a lot of people on here do) run a cheap hob filter for a few days to a week. Its just to lower docs and carbon helps a bunch doing that. When you turn of the lights the algae will go away however if you dont remove the docs when the light comes back on they will be back. Just ask rc about that. He is the master of algae growth. Oh and yes in this hobby you ask one question you will get at least 10 different answers. Like I said if it was me thats what I would do. Right now you dont have a cuc to take care of this in the future you will. So for now you have to do something to replace the cuc.

Back