New with some questions (photos too)

But what about the ammonia level, does that sound right?? Also, so should I not run my protein skimmer during cycling?

Last edited:
Well I put the little piece of shrimp in there just to help encourage ammonia levels, when looking at the test again I think I might have just compared the colors wrong it actually looked more like 0 ppm which is why I added the shrimp and turned the protein skimmer off.

You dont have to encourage the ammonia when your starting with rock from an established tank.JMO,But I'd rather avoid an ammonia spike if at all possible.
I'd pull the shrimp and just watch the ammonia levels for 2 or 3 weeks,and if it dont spike,start adding a few clean up critters.

Yes I know that but I want to make sure I'm not doing anything that will hinder the process (as a protein skimmer may) and that I actually get it going, the girl at petco who know's a lot about saltwater stuff told me if I wanted I could also get some of the biozyme stuff to help add some more bacteria so I did since they were only like 4 bucks and I also bought a nitrate test kit.

You can run your skimmer during the cycling process as it needs time to break-in anyway. As for the biozyme I have found it to be ineffective, myself. You can add them it won't hurt, but it will not save that much time. IMO

Well the protein skimmer should already be broken in, it was used when I got it and I've been running it and it's been collecting a lot of gunk, actually yesterday when I got home my room smelled because of all the gunk that had collected in the cup.

I'd say that about 99.9% of us ran the skimmer during the cycle.Its not gonna hurt anything.
And your not hindering anything by just watching it for a couple of weeks.And heres something to think about.
You just paid good money for live rock.Rock that should have a lot of life,both bacteria,inverts,and algae that are good for the tank.If you push a cycle,a lot of that life is going to die as a result.

Well I don't know about any inverts on the rock, not that I've seen at least mostly coraline algae though.

You'll be surprised at what eventually crawls out of that rock.

That right theres a fact:D
You'll find all kinds of stuff living inside that rock as you go.
I'd bet if you looked tonight with a flash light,you'd find all kinds of worms and pods crawling around on the rock.

Well I did see some worms but they were dead already when I go the rock, probably died once he took the rock out of his aquarium. They looked like they were crawling out of holes but weren't moving (just like 2 small ones).

So do these creatures hide during the day I guess? I'll have to look later. Oh btw if anyone of you are wondering why the links to the photos are dead it's cause I moved them into an album which can be viewed here:

Saltwater Aquarium pictures by ltkenbo - Photobucket

And here is how I have it all "aquascaped" now, I think it looks pretty good:

DSC05141.jpg

Yeah I've got a blue/red/regular LED flashlight, I'll turn off all the lights in my room now and check a little later. Btw if you didn't notice I put a black background on the aquarium. Oh and should I have a cover between the surface and the lights like acrylic or something, I figured it might melt but I don't know if the lights should be covered to be protected.

Yes it will help them, the lights from moisture. Just don't cover the actual tank as it's bad for gas exchange. Your tank looks good, especially with the black background.

Back