New with some questions (photos too)

Ok as far as my protein skimmer goes, the bubble production diffuser filter is gross colored, can I just clean it well or do I need a new one and if so where can I get one?

Also if I got prepackaged aquarium sand from petco do I need to wash it before putting it in the tank since it was sealed already?

yea, a little bit will drip out, but not enough to wory about in the back of a truck...

:shock: Sounds like a personal problem :lol:

...I just don't have a pick-up and any sort of WATER dripping would get all over my backseat, also I think pouring is a little easier when you use a jug with a smaller opening. In the end, it really is just personal preference...nothing technical.

:shock: Sounds like a personal problem :lol:

...I just don't have a pick-up and any sort of WATER dripping would get all over my backseat, also I think pouring is a little easier when you use a jug with a smaller opening. In the end, it really is just personal preference...nothing technical.

ahh ok, wasnt sure if you were going to start talking about the air getting to it or something like that..

Also I had a question before about how I should mount the powerheads but what I also meant was literally "how should I mount them" because they didn't come with any mounts or suction cups.

Ok as far as my protein skimmer goes, the bubble production diffuser filter is gross colored, can I just clean it well or do I need a new one and if so where can I get one? Don't know what type of filter, but if it is some sort of sponge then I would replace it

Also if I got prepackaged aquarium sand from petco do I need to wash it before putting it in the tank since it was sealed already? yes clean it; put one bag in a 5 gallon bucket, fill the bucket the 3/4 of the way up with R/O salt water; stir with a wood dowel or stick until the water gets all merky, dump the water, put the sand in the tank...then do the next bag

Also I had a question before about how I should mount the powerheads but what I also meant was literally "how should I mount them" because they didn't come with any mounts or suction cups.

Could you post a picture of the back of the power heads, if I saw I could probably figure out some sort of rigging option (A skill earned from many years of watching MacGuiver as a child :lol:)...then again, do the power heads have some sort of suction cup attachment? If so, you can just buy suction cups separetly at the LFS

Ok as far as my protein skimmer goes, the bubble production diffuser filter is gross colored, can I just clean it well or do I need a new one and if so where can I get one?

Also if I got prepackaged aquarium sand from petco do I need to wash it before putting it in the tank since it was sealed already?

Diffuser question: I would hope you could just clean it...what do you mean be gross colored? Why don't you try cleaning and if doesn't work...you'll know your answer :mrgreen:...Just make sure not to use any harsh chemicals when cleaning it; I've heard some people using some sort of vineagar/distilled water mix, but I don't know the proportions. If it needs to be replaced, then you're probably going to have to go throught he manufacturer if they will even sell you one.

Do you NEED to wash prepackaged sand...no; did I wash mine? no...do websites suggest cleaning it anyway? yes. To be on the safe side, clean it, but if you are religiously opposed to the marriage of sand and water in the unholiness of a bucket...then just put it in the tank and you should be fine...eventually.

Let us know if you need to know how to clean it :D.

I would recommend washing your sand before its use. Although it is usually pre washed/rinsed, it is best to rinse it thoroughly. You'll be surprised how much stuff you'll be able to rinse off. Better down the drain than in your tank!

So what is the point of the bubble production diffuser? Why does it matter if bubbles form upon returning to the tank?

Ok so I got my RO/DI unit yesterday and have hooked it up. I gotta tighten some of the plumbing but I got it running now and I'm letting it just run down the drain for like an hour like recommended. So now I can start filling up my tank I guess since it'll take like a whole day. It's gonna be like another week until I can order live rock but I should still be ok to go ahead and fill it up to check for leaks and then hook up the protein skimmer and everything right even though I won't have anything in there yet but sand?

are you gonna leak test the tank or is this for saltwater? If its for saltwater then dont forget you will displace alot of water when you add sand and rock. Be a shame to waste salt.

Well kind of both, I'm adding sand before I fill it anyways, I don't necessarily have to add salt yet but I at least want to get some water in the tank, the tank shouldn't leak but I want to know before I get live rock. Also I want to make sure the temperature, salinity, protein skimmer, powerheads and everything are good before I start adding anything anyways. I've got plenty of salt (enough for 160 gallons) and I just won't fill the water all the way up in the first place.

Well kind of both, I'm adding sand before I fill it anyways, I don't necessarily have to add salt yet but I at least want to get some water in the tank, the tank shouldn't leak but I want to know before I get live rock. Also I want to make sure the temperature, salinity, protein skimmer, powerheads and everything are good before I start adding anything anyways. I've got plenty of salt (enough for 160 gallons) and I just won't fill the water all the way up in the first place.

I would leak test it with tap water, and with no sand in the tank
If it does leak and you have to empty it, the sand is just going to be a huge mess, and you wont be wasting all the RO water
If it doesnt leak siphon the tap water out the window, and fill it up with good water
Post some pics of your powerheads, you can probably buy a mounting kit for them

i got my initial live rock from Doctors Foster and Smith, ended up being like 3.00 a lb with shipping

Welcome to the site

Well see then honestly introducing tap water into it in the first place kind of beats the point of using pure water, I supposed I could drain/siphon it all out and dry it out well but initially when I was cleaning it out it didn't seem to leak plus I've already put the sand in there and sand IMO is actually easier to handle when wet. But I guess what I was asking is if it would be all right to have just salt water sitting in there but from the posts so far it seems that it is all right.

you will be fine with saltwater and sand in there until you get your rock in. You can just run your power heads so it doesnt get stagnate. Test your filtration and such. No problem there.

Everything everyones saying is great, but I would keep and use the HOB filter..Not as a filter though. Since your tank is not RR use it as a HOB fuge and fill it with cheato to help cut down nutrients and add alittle flow. I have use my HOB filter that way for years and will continue to use it.

Good advice from all. I would test with tap water, then drain it and wipe it out. If you have a leak ....... why waste RODI water and or salt! JMO

Back