Newb's 72g Reef

This is after the cycle just before adding the cleaner crew
beforecleancrew.jpg

This is just 2 weeks after the cleaner crew was added, 98% of algea is gone.
fulltank04.jpg

refugium just after adding cheato
sump01.jpg

sump with ASM G-1 skimmer and 950gph mag drive return pump
sump02.jpg

Ahhhhhh!The clowns cuddling was a kodak moment.Wait til they get comfy,they will be fighting.Isn't it remarkable what a clean up crew can do.I like the sump/fuge setup...how do like the ASM skimmer?

Looking pretty awesome Newb

the skimmer so far is working awesome, but i haven't had to empty the cup yet but it is pretty nasty stuff it's pulling outta the water so im not sure if i have it tuned just right. my nitrates are sitting at around 20 and have been for the last couple of weeks, im using test strips so im not sure how accurate they are. im hoping to soon upgrade to Salifert or instant ocean test kits.

Great looking tank! I almost wish years ago that I bought a 72 bow - but space was an issue then - it still is an issue now. I think the bows are much nicer than the waves. While the waves do look cool - I'm not sure they will ever be as popular as the bows have been.

i love the bowfronts also. they give the illusion that the tank has a lot of depth. i have seen some awesome aquascaping pulled off in a bowfront.

new additions

Diamond Sleeper Goby
it's cool watching this guy scoop up the sand in his mouth and spit it back out, good sand sifter.
DiamondGoby.jpg

Neon Mushroom
Mushroom.jpg

Another Hitchiker
small starfish
starfish003.jpg

one more coming tomorrow once my Green Star Polyps open up.

Tank looks awesome. It will look even better when it's full of coraline.

Are you concidering a backround??

I like the diamond goby
What you have is a Asternia star....There is alot of debate if its reef safe.
(I'm feeling a little dejavu...have I mention this before?)

Im not planning on a background cause once i get as much live rock in there as i want, the very little you will be able to see of the back will have coralline on it.
I've read up alot on the Asterina stars and yes we've talked about this on my first Asterina hitchhiker, lol. There is lots of debate on them but i think it comes down to how healthy your corals are and what species of Asterina it is and there are hundreds if not thousands of em. so once i see him again im gonna snatch him and stick him in my quarantine tank with my other Asterina(which by the way has already split in half). it would be nice to have some of them roaming my display tank but i'd rather be safe than sorry.

Really enjoy watching your tank progress, and look foward to seeing the GSP. One thing about the background though...seems like I remember reading somewhere that a black background helps calm your fishes nerves. I don't know if there's anything to that, but I figured it would be an idea to throw your way. Have fun and good luck!!!

No prob Newb. And please don't hold me to that or qoute me on it, because it's something I think I've read. I'm not positive. I'll try to find were I read it at and post the a link to it here.

Edit: Ok so I've been digging trying to find were I originally read that, and I can't find it. So I'd say disregard that statement if you want. I don't like giving people advice without something to back up my reasoning. But I will not hesitate to tell someone something I believe, or think. And I believe that a background would help to keep some light in your aquarium. It would block of the entire back, thus not allowing light to escape through the back, thus allowing more light in your aquarium...just a blurb from the mind of a redneck though.

Last edited:
Green Star Polyps
not a whole lot of green to em right now, probably the different lighting in my tank. in about a year i plan on switching to 14k MH bulbs, this fairly good size frag only cost me $9 cause they thought it was two seprate pieces and had already quoted my $9.
greenstarplyps.jpg

NewbReefer said:
Im not planning on a background cause once i get as much live rock in there as i want, the very little you will be able to see of the back will have coralline on it.
I've read up alot on the Asterina stars and yes we've talked about this on my first Asterina hitchhiker, lol. There is lots of debate on them but i think it comes down to how healthy your corals are and what species of Asterina it is and there are hundreds if not thousands of em. so once i see him again im gonna snatch him and stick him in my quarantine tank with my other Asterina(which by the way has already split in half). it would be nice to have some of them roaming my display tank but i'd rather be safe than sorry.

I thought we did.....:scratchch
Nice stars....not all GSP are totally green or green at all.Yours look like my starburst.Its tan with the tips flouresing under actinics.Oh I almost forgot they grow really fast.If you don't want them to take over,you might want to isolate them from the rocks...say the sand bed.

Last edited:
Back