Newb's 72g Reef

Thanks Reef Acros are one of my favorite coral. The LFS did tell me they get big over a long period so i plan on trading him back once/if that time comes. hopefully he lives to see that day.

he is still abit shy but he loves the Mysis shrimp i give him every day. the LFS said i could clip some lettuce to the inside of the tank wall so he can nibble at it, is that true? or should i just get some of the seaweed strips?

I really don't like to use lettuce to feed my tangs.You can't use it straight from the fridge.They have to be softened by nuking them.Nori is a better alternative,I think its a seaweed used for sushi or something.

Go with the seaweed sheets sold at fishstores or nori.Don't forget a veggie clip.

By the time the Acros gets big you hould be confident enough in your reef keeping abilities to start fragging. Acro frags if they are colorful have great swapping values with individuals or LFS's. Fragging is easy. It is one of those things that appear freighting only until you have done it once. One you see your frags growing fragging becomes like an addictive drug.

I have fragged several of my SPS accidentally. It's really easy, all you have to do is drop the coral as you are moving it into the tank. It hits the ground, and boom, you have a new coral! :)

Lol thats great Biff, i love it. I tend to drop stuff fairly often so im sure eventually i'll frag some SPS that way too.
yeah im sure fragging coral is as bad as it may seem. i accidently fragged a mushroom, I placed my mushroom frag when i first got it up againt my live rock without glueing it or anything, and a few days later decided i didn't like it there so i went to move it but some tissue had already attached itself to the rock so i ended up tearing it away and now i've got mushrooms growing in both areas :)

im in the middle of fragging my GSP i've kinda wedged it up against the corner of my aquarium to try and get it to grow on the glass, we'll se how that works out. I also put a bunch of rubble rock right up against it so it'll move onto those then i'll just cut em away and go get some store credit. also might try something like your little frag farm for your Xenia's i think it was Biff.

first off, your tank looks great.

next. Don't do lettuce, it gives your fish the runs. You will have a cloud of :pooh: unlike anything you have ever seen. yuck.

Go with nori

-Doc

yeah, it really is gross. romaine lettuce makes it the worst. broccoli is also bad as far as :pooh: goes.

-Doc

Here is my frag farm. I cut the inside of a lid of a tupperware container out and superglued in mesh instead, so light and water flow can get through. When I frag things, I put the pieces in the container with the lid on. Once they've attached themselves to the live rock rubble, I take the lid off and let them go until they've spread all over the rocks. The tupperware keeps them from spreading places I don't want them to.

0308125.jpg

0308005.jpg

Finally saw this guy climbing around again, i saw hi forever ago a few weeks after i got my tank cycled and now he is probably 5 times bigger. it's definetly not a asterina star, i have many of those in my tank.

StarFish001.JPG

And heres my new Mandarin *fingers crossed* Im sure i have enough in my tank for him to eat, plenty of pods and creapy crawlies. I also have hundereds if not thousands of baby brittle stars, im not sure if he'll those or not, anyone know? He was lookin pretty thin in the LFS's tank so i thought i's give him a go in my tank and he's been all over it pickin at the rock and now looks like he's got a full belly.

Mandarin001.JPG

Last edited:
Back