Newb's 72g Reef

reeffreak said:
Oh I almost forgot they grow really fast.If you don't want them to take over,you might want to isolate them from the rocks...say the sand bed.

Thats what they told me at the LFS. You mean put em on a smaller piece of rock and place it seprate from the rest of the live rock?

Yeah,place them or glue them to a rock and isolate them from the main rocks.You can place rubble rock around them and let them spread to those.....VOLA!store credit.When mine overgrows(almost there),I might cut some off and glue them onto the pipes or back wall.

He's right I have PSP and they grow like crazy they will grow over everything. I keep mine on a piece of rock away from the main rocks in the sand and when it grows on the sand I put a small piece of rock next to it and when it sticks I cut it off and trade or give it away. I have to frag it once a week to once every other week, depending on the size frag I want. One thing I have seen done with it that I might try is glueing a small frag on the back glass and it will cover your back glass I have seen two or three tanks with a GSP background. Looks pretty cool.

wow! a GSP background! that would be sweet! well i glued it to a rock and seperated it from the main rocks. thanks for the tips guys.

New Adds!

Brittle Star
BrittleStar.jpg

finally found a Peppermint Shrimp.
peppermintshrimp.jpg

Well everyone im back on the saltwater grid :Cheers: Things got a little crazy there for a bit, I was involved in a work accident among other reasons why I haven't had any time or money for the hobby, but im slowly gettin back into it. So heres a little update on the tank. Because i wasn't able to maintain it well other than adding water and feeding I had decided to just run my T5's and leave my MH's off. i'll be starting my MH's back up soon though but im a little worried about the temp of my tank it currently is sitting at 82.4 degrees with just the T5's but i just put a fan over my sump and we'll see if that brings it down at all. I really haven't done anything new with the tank since i last posted but i did this weekend and get a Sailfin Sturgeon fish and a little Yellow Watchman Goby i'll add pics of em tomorrow when there out, the lights are currently off. I ended up losing my shrimp and my Diamond Goby decided to jump out of the tank. Here are some before and after pics of my corals that have been doing very well.

Zoos-Before
Zoos01.jpg

Zoos-After
Zoos0341.JPG

GSP-Before
greenstarplyps.jpg

GSP-After
GSP0011.JPG

Mushrooms-Before
Mushroom.jpg

Mushrooms-After
shrooms0011.JPG

Crab-Before
Crab01.jpg

Crab-After (about 3x bigger now)
Crab0011.JPG

I do have a heater. it's in the sump and on a timer to only come on at night cause i never changed it from when i had my MH's on timers.

i would unplug it and see if that helps. i umpluged mine a long time ago.

Well i just checked my temp and i've had the fan on the sump for a couple hours and it's come down to 81.9 from 82.4 so im gonna keep an eye on it and see what it settles at during the day and night after i give it a few days if it's still above 78 i'll slowly start bringing on my MH's and unplug the heater. I dont want it to drop 5 degrees in one night :D

where do you check the temp at in the tank or in the sump. you could be getting some heat from the lights. i suggest checking deep in the tank or check in the sump. or are you using one of those strips that stick to the tank.

I have a probe that i suction 4 or so inches from the top of the display tank. But i wouldn't think i would be picking up much if any heat if im just running T5's which are hanging more than 12 inches from the tank.

If you have good circulation the temperature should be nearly the same every where in your tank and sump except the very thin skin of water at the surface of your tank and sump top surface which will be a very little bit cooler due to the evaporation cooling effects. With adequate tank circulation the temperature of your sump water will match your tank water. All parameters for all parts of a tanks system should always basically be the same. There will be exceopptions to the rule like a higher dissolved oxygen levl near the exit of a skimmer or in a refugium with macroalgae when the fuge light is on, but with good circulation even these should be diificult to detect. It would be easier to make good suggestions about your heating problems if more dat was available. Fot instance what is your normal room temperature. How much water are you loosing to evaporation every day. With 72 gallon tank it would be nice to shoot for 2 gallons per day of evaporation with fans running only while the lights are on , as you wabnt the evaporation to happen only when you want to drop the tanks temperature. Water evaporation removes huge amounts of heat energy from water bodies (IE your tank). Fans increase the evaporation by moving the moisture laden air out of the way and bringing in replacement air that is drier so that it can pick up moisture to carry away. If you live in a drier climate it works better than if you live in a humid climate. It works very well in the dry southwestern part of the United States. The fans basically turn your sump into a "swamp cooler."

Last edited:
Thanks biff :)

my camera does some strange lighting when I take pics with my halides on, so my tank much brighter than it looks. I got my 14k MH a few days ago to replace my 10k bulbs, im much happier with the 14k.

I just ordered new bulbs for my halides also. So far, I've used 10K, but the new bulbs I ordered are 14K. I'm pretty sure I will like them better too.

Back