noob: filter questions

tampafishguy

cyano happens...
ok, so i have decided to start a saltwater tank and i have narrowed it down to two options, a 46 gal bowfront with sand and a 40 gal with a undergravel filter. i know from reading other posts on this forum that these undergravel filters arent very good, but what if instead of substrate i fill the bottom with larger live rock, covering the filter and leaving plenty of room for stuff to fall through (making the entire bottom of the tank a reef). would this allow the undergravel filter to clean efficiently?

I also am trying to choose the filter, and after looking at the prices of filters at the store, i was wondering if there was a cheaper option, or some standardized canister filter i could pick up on ebay or something.

I am open to any advice, thank you.

I think you should completely rid yourself of the idea of the undergravel filter,there is just no need.
The sand idea is good, if you have substrate as small pieces of rock, food will become trapped in there and create nitrates.
So, its better if you want something like a filter to look into a protein skimmer

Hello and Welcome!

+1 Waddi

You could run either of those size tanks without any sort of filter, just make sure you have enough rocks. The live rocks will be your most important source of biofiltration, and this is true for any size tank. As long as you do regular water changes, you will be fine. I ran my 46 bow for about a year without any kind of filter.

If you do decide you want to get a filter, dont get a canister/mechanical filter. That is freshwater technology that translates very poorly to saltwater. Instead, get yourself a good protein skimmer. But the absolute cheapest form of filter out there is an algae scrubber, but that will require you to build some stuff. They are kinda messy and loud, but they do work.

Before you commit the 46 bow, make sure you can handle the distortion caused by the bow. Some people get a headache or feel sick looking through the glass.

Back