Nova 48 Watt Enough?

drm180

Reefing newb
I'm looking for a light system but I can't spend that much. I found the Nova Extreme for only $70 which is fine for me. My tank is 29 gallons, bowfront, 24 inches across, 15 inches from front to back at the peak of the bow, and 19 inches deep. I'm just now getting everything to set it up. I want to have corals and possibly anemonoe in it later on. Is this lamp stronf enough? It is 48 watt. Here is the link. Nova Extreme 24 inch T-5 Fixture 2x24W SW: Aquarium Supplies - Aqua Buys

Sorry, that's not enough light for an anemone. You will be able to keep low-light corals like mushrooms, leathers and zoanthids with it though. For anemones you want at least 5 or 6 watts per gallon. With that light, you are at less than 2 watts per gallon. Check here for lights -- Aquatraders - Wide selection of Aquarium Lightings including T5 HO, Power Compact, Metal Halide. They are very reasonably priced, and so far, people have been pretty happy with their products.

so for a 72g would you go for the MH 500W system, or the HO-T5 216W system? Just wondering from the anemone stand point.

If the nova extreme is a HO then you have to double the pover, In otherwords, if it is a 2 bulb 24watt per bulb thats 48 watss X that by 2 96 watts so you would be pushing it with the anenome but anenomes rome around the tank until they find the right flow and lighting so it could work...

If the nova extreme is a HO then you have to double the pover, In otherwords, if it is a 2 bulb 24watt per bulb thats 48 watss X that by 2 96 watts so you would be pushing it with the anenome but anenomes rome around the tank until they find the right flow and lighting so it could work...

It is HO. So that means I have 96 watts not 48? I would only want an anemonoe that a clownfish would live in. If there's not possibly enough light though I won't risk it.

well there is alot of good comments above, everyone has there own experience's and points of veiw, but Honestley in my opinion I am 99% sure it will work, but like i said before, the Anenome will move close to the light and more flow, and the Clown will eventually will be with the Anenome.
and like Biff said Mushrooms will def. work

Yeah I plan to do a mushroom or two. Are they're any anemonoe you would suggest that will host a clowfish and be okay in my lighting?

Back