Octopus Skimmer?

Hiker4twenty

Reef enthusiast
I'm going to buy another new skimmer because my Corallife Super Skimmer SUCKS! I've had it for almost 2 months and it sucks bad and I'll leave it at that. After seeing Ccapt's Octopus skimmer I'm sold! My question is what model to get. I see they have NW, super reef, reef extreme and recirculating. I'm going to use it on a 50g DT w/ a 29g fuge. I'm thinking I'll get a model that's rated for the 150g range. Also, I want a model that can be used in sump. I appreciate all your feedback, suggestions and help! If you think there are other manufactures that make a better skimmer please let me know as well. :bowdown:

Here are a few examples I've been looking at.

Reef Octopus Extreme 160 Protein Skimmer by CoralVue* - AquaCave
Reef Octopus NWB 110 Needle Wheel Protein Skimmer - AquaCave
Reef Octopus DNW 150 Recirculating Protein Skimmer - AquaCave

They are all good units and will do the job for you Dave. I have the 160 Extreme and it does a great job with a very small footprint. That gives you more room in the fuge also.

What do you want to spend? I have the original NW200 and I paid $200.
Under $200, I would get the NWB 150 for $189
Under $300, the Extreme 160 for $289
Under $400, the XP 200 Cone for $399

I'd like to stay in the $200 range, but if I get a better skimmer and better performance out of the extreme 160 then I'll go for that. If your opinion, which one would you suggest I get? I'd like this to be the last skimmer I have to buy for a while.

The Extreme 160 cost aprox 33% more than the NWB 150. I doubt it is 33% better. You would not be unhappy with the NWB 150.

I was doing some further reading about the NWB 150 and the footprint is 1/4" too large to fit in my fuge. I'm using a 29g fuge and the inside measurement is 11&3/4" and the skimmer is 12"x7.75". What about the NWB 110 model? That has the footprint that will work, but is that too much of a downgrade?

Turn it the other way. ;) The tank has to be longer than 12".
The NWB 110 is pretty small. The body diameter is only 4"....so it's smaller than your CSS125. I would go with the Extreme 160 if you can't fit the NWB 150.

Well, I just ordered the Extreme 160. Hopefully it's here by the end of the week. I hated to have to buy another skimmer, but it's something that had to be done. Now....what to do w/ my coralife skimmer?

I came home last night and my piece of :pooh: Coralife skimmer overflowed the 1 gallon collection jug. :frustrat: I emptied it right before I went to work and did not adjust the skimmer at all. There was no reason for it to go crazy and start dumping water. Luckily I got home in time to catch it before it drained my fuge. There was just enough water in the return pump section to keep it from burning up. :bounce: I cannot wait to stop using that junk skimmer and get a good one up and running!:Cheers:

Why don't you just let over flow back into the sump if it overflows..I would disconnect the tube to the jug. It won't hurt anything and there's no chance the sump will drain out or overheat the pump till you get the new skimmer

Last edited:
I'll just do a larger than normal water change and wait until the new skimmer gets here. I'm so mad I wasted $200 on that skimmer when I could have just bought the right one to start.

Well I just heard from Aquacave.com and the skimmer I ordered is on backorder for at least a month. Anyone know anywhere else good to order the skimmer from? I've check a few other places and they out of stock as well.

Back