Opinions on skimmer-less setup.

Solarfall

Totally Gnar
I'm ditching my HOB skimmer because it's ugly as sin and selling it to someone today. I've been looking around for a used external skimmer without much luck but it's looking like I may have to go skimmerless for at least a little while.
So if I just kept up with my 15% water changes every week and kept an eye on nitrates, you think it'll work out well? Hell, if my nitrates remain at zero maybe I'll just not get a new one.

Alright, cool my skimmer's gone now and the tank looks so much better.

Hope this works out. Lol I can see myself testing trates like every other day already.

I perfer a skimmer but I think you can make it without one but I would make sure of weekly PWC`s to make up for it. Anything less than that will let your nitrates get out of hand. JMO

Stay on top of your maintenance. I don't have a skimmer on my nano, but would never dream of taking it off any of my other tanks. You should replace it as soon as possible. Good Luck.

My skimmer removes a full cup of black goop per 5 days; I can't imagine that stuff remaining in my tank and it being ok!

But when my pump for it died, I went almost a month without one with little side effects. I believe skimmers make a difference for sure, but not so much that you can't operate without one.

IMO a skimmer is not really necessary in a reef, but it sure is good to have. I don't think I'd run a reef without a skimmer.

Your signature says you have a 16g sump - why not hang the skimmer on the side or even better - put it in the sump?

IMO a skimmer is not really necessary in a reef, but it sure is good to have. I don't think I'd run a reef without a skimmer.

Your signature says you have a 16g sump - why not hang the skimmer on the side or even better - put it in the sump?

The skimmer compartment of my sump is my fuge. I was using a Remora Pro skimmer too, which the water collumn of it is wayy too long to run off of my sump.

I do 15% water changes weekly either way though, and I only have 3 tiny fish, so I don't think it'll be a problem. I have a calender on my wall for all tank maintenance that I'm really anal about keeping up with lol.

And I actually might consider one of those scrubber things, looked really neat.

I'm currently running my 125g w/o a fuge or skimmer...just the sump. And I also have a low bioload (3 small fish and some cuc). So far, nitrates haven't crept up too fast. Just gotta watch the levels.

I have 2 tanks and no skimmers. I rely on chaeto in a fuge to keep rates at zero. Skimmers may not normally be needed but when something dies a good skimmer can take out the excess crud. Consider a good skimmer as a backup way to reduce trates.

I ran my 180 w/o skimmer for about 2 months when I was saving up for my deltec skimmer. It had my adult vlamingi and an adult queen angel juv koran and multiple small fish. It was just fine, just kept up with water changes. I don't reccomend going long term but it will be ok.

Back