Opinions on skimmer-less setup.

I've been researching this lately(I always like the idea of as natural a cycle as possible) and from what I am finding out a well stocked, and matured Fuge can handle a pretty massive bioload. Mangrove seedlings are the shit it seems. Hopefully I'll have some actual experience with this in a couple months. Seems though if you just focus on what wastes you have(Nitrates and Phosphates) and then look at what will use those things(Mangrove seedlings, Chaeto, etc) with plenty of flow you can make some good things happen.

I've been researching this lately(I always like the idea of as natural a cycle as possible) and from what I am finding out a well stocked, and matured Fuge can handle a pretty massive bioload. Mangrove seedlings are the shit it seems. Hopefully I'll have some actual experience with this in a couple months. Seems though if you just focus on what wastes you have(Nitrates and Phosphates) and then look at what will use those things(Mangrove seedlings, Chaeto, etc) with plenty of flow you can make some good things happen.

If you're considering going skimmerless from the start, I don't think I would do it in your situation unless you had a massive fuge. I'm only trusting myself doing this because I'm super anal about my reef. All my friends and family go out of their way to tell me I have a problem lol.

I'm a week+ in and still not reading any trates so all seems well... for now.

Back