ORA Borealis!

JAG107

Reef enthusiast
It finally came in Friday night at my fav LFS. Polyps haven't come all the way out yet, here it is one hour after lights on:
ORABorealis11-09-08.jpg

The pic does it no justice, Borealis is a beauty!
And here's the ORA Spongodes I picked up, it was way too cool to pass up:
ORAspongodes11-09-08.jpg

I got both for under a hundred bucks, I guess that's not so bad considering the retail on Borealis at most stores is $80 around here. Hope you like the pics!:Cheers:

Those look great Jag.
Better be careful now that you got the SPS bug.You'll be investing in a calcium reactor before long:D

Yeah I know, once they all start growing, I expect the calc to drop fast. I'm using Oceanic now, which keeps it at 500, alk 8, mag 1240 (tested today). I think if they start growing a little faster I'm going to look for a used (gulp!) 240gal and do all SPS in that, and keep the current 110 for the nems and angels. I'm really sick of the angels nipping at everything.

I'm jealous of your PE, Dustin! What are your phos/nitrate levels? Your red planet looks good BTW is it mounted sideways for more light surface?

i mounted it like that to see how it would respond when it grows. and i havent tested phos ever, and last time i tested nitrates it was under 10

When did you get your borealis, and have you seen any growth yet? Mine's 1 1/2" tall, I'll measure it in a month and see how much growth there is. :)

Nice coral$.

pe = polyp extension

Oh, and the reason you may not be getting good polyp extension is..........
"Koran, bicolor, coral beauty. The dwarfs are the worst."
Koran is a coral eater, pygmy angels are iffy at best. Coral beauties for the most part are OK, but bicolors seem to nip coral quite a bit. How do the 2 pygmies get along? It isn't recommended to keep 2 together.

Last edited:
I imagine your angels get worse when your polyps are extended. Its a real hit and miss thing, usually miss. But I will probably always have an angel.

Actually I'm seeing worse behavior from the $3 yellow clown goby, which I am trying my damndest to catch and burn at the stake. Hosting in the SPS like a clown...
The angels usually come over to any new acro, taste it, and never bother it again. The Koran doesn't seem to care for the SPS, the dwarf angels are a bit more bothersome.
BTW the dwarfs are pals somehow. The most aggressive behavior I've seen in this tank is when I added a copperband butterfly and the yellow tang and koran harrassed it for about 3 days, now they leave each other alone.
Beginner mistakes, all of these fish... if I decide to do a 240g, I'll move all the SPS over and leave the angels in the current 110 with the nems and shrooms. I'll see how bad they get I guess. One of my LFS has a HUGE naso tang that nips all their SPS frags, and for whatever reason they won't move it.

I hadn't either, until I saw it sucking/biting on extended acro polyps. You know what, it was a sohol tang, not naso. Easily 8" long. NO algae in that tank, though

the clown goby is totally expected for that kind of behavior. thats basically all they do is sit on coral branches. I love those guys

Back