predator tank fish options

that is no enough light for nems at all. the only fish that i know of that eats nems is butterfly fish but that is aptasia not full size nems. but i could be wrong.,

ill take a pic of the light fixture we got it at a auction for free!
it is about 5 feet because it is a bout a 2-3 in. taller

Last edited:
Hibye, you already tried keeping an anemone under that amount of light, even though everyone told you it wouldn't be enough, and it died. Don't make the same mistake over and over again. Accept that with your lighting, there are just some animals that you won't be able to keep.

I second the clown trigger suggestion. Mine is a bad MF, eats just about anything meaty and is always active in the daytime. $50 isn't so bad for a fish, really, when its so easy to drop twice that on a nice little purple acro or superman monti :)

i vote clown trigger for sure. so whats the status on this 125? you have been talkin about it for al ong while and i havent seen any progress

NO dont forget about VHS virus it is fatal and is rapidly infecting the Northeast. Freshwater fishes dont have the proper Omega 3 fatty acids to support marine fishes, you will have to buy saltwater feeders if you wish to live feed but that will make for more aggressive fishes. My vote is for an ANGLER FISH of some sort by the way.

so heres what i would like to put
frogfish
snowflake eel
not sure on which pufferfish blue dot or porcupine
lionfish
huma huma or titian triggerfish
marine beta

is that everything ?

Killer, but with fish like that I would seriously consider using a trickle filter as the primary bio filter system and not live rock or a deep sand bed. Consider any rock you use as just decoration. It will do some filtering, but to depend on all rock to filter out the mess of those fish would leave very little room for their swimming. I would not consider real low nitrates as even being an option with that many predators. You might as well give them a lot of room and let a more efficient filter like a trickle filter do the nitrification. The eel is the only real hider in the bunch so you do not need to provide a lot of hiding spaces, just a good viewing appearance, and that can be done with dead rock.

Last edited:
I would also be VERY careful about a lion fish in with triggers and puffers. The puffers especially will eat/nip the lion fish's long spiney fins. They are NOT good tankmates. The lion fish are slow graceful swimmers and are not very active - while the other predators are very active swimmers. I am afraid your lion fish will end up stressed and dead with 6months or so. I would also look into a better skimmer than the one's you listed - I would double the "recomendations" on the skimmers for a predator tank. As stated they produce ALOT of waste and you will really need to overskim the tank. Also puffer fish have been known to nip at and eat anemonies.

I would also vote for a huma huma trigger. They have much better survival rates than the clown triggers long term.

Also most of your tangs will survive quite well in a predator tank - most are very aggressive in their own right and will add a lot of color.

I am working on setting up a large predator tank myself -It stinks because I want to keep alot of the same things you have listed but have found problems with them co-existing. especially the puffer and the lion fish and the puffer with the anemonie. Good luck

I think that anglers/frogfish need to be in a species tank by themselves IMO. They sit around and don't move much at all - patiently waiting for a little fish to come along. so they can intice the littel guy closer and close until WHAM!! they swallow him whole!! Very cool fish to watch but I don't think it would stand much of a chance at ever getting any food in a predator tank. The one's I have seen in person have been in tanks by themselves.

I think of the frogfish like I do lionfish. They are gracefull and cool to watch but if they have too many tankmates it kills their hunting. My dwarf zebra lion would stalk live prey for 10-20 minutes until he could corner them then all of his fins came out and started fluttering and waving. It would almost hypnotise you. He would slowly get closer and closer until he could dart in and swallow the prey whole. Very cool little guy. Unfortunatley he jumped out of my tank! :( I ahve never even heard of a lion fish jumping!! Just my luck!!

I think the hawk fish would be ok so long as it wasn't too small. I don't have any experiance with them though just what I have read. I know they like to perch and are supposed to have really cool personalities. I just don't know for sure. I would say yes but with caution due to size.

Have you thought about or looked into the harlequin tusk? Very cool fish - looks super cool and can hold their own. A little expensive but I think they are worth it - they are in the wrasse family.

http://liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1379+380&pcatid=380

Biggest thing about a predator tank fish list is planning out what to add and in what order. It can make all the diff in the world. It is the hardest part I am having. Everyone has an opinion - so you just have to read and ask a lot of questions, taking in as much info as you can. Then making your own decision.

Patrick, Yote's lionfish jumped once. He grabbed it with his hands to put it back in the tank. Bet you know how that story ends :).

My LFS kept a pair of frogfish (Kermit and Miss Piggy) in a large predator tank for a long time. They were housed with a bird wrasse, lunare wrasse, rays, bamboo sharks, an eel and a lionfish. But the LFS kept plenty of damsels in the tank for them to eat.

Back