Putter's first tank

oops...didn't see biff's post before I replied to reef's, the one pictured is already made and on it's way, so I will have to work with it the way it is :( so long as it works is all that matters. Would be a shame to have spent the money and have to dismantle it and start over. I was mostly curious on the drains from the DT and whether or not I should have them split and one running into the fuge on it's own.

Oh Biff,its not that more complicated.If Putty wants control over the flow then let him/her do it.

I mentioned the additional baffle because it looks like micro bubbles from the skimmer passing underneath the fuge may get to the return pump.Hmmmmm...maybe I should of put a period back there somewhere.Do whatever you feel will keep microbubbles from getting to the return pump.

Thanks oh freaky one....lol and I'm a him, and I will take a look and see if I can fit the baffle in, if I can then I will, just to ensure I don't end up with micro bubbles, if I don't and I have a bubbly issue then I will try the sponge....thanks again for the advice....can hardly wait until I get more parts here....LOL (this is going to be so much fun)

I thought you were a ''he'',just wasn't 100% sure.Its 2007,I thought I should be politically correct.Good luck and post pics.

just a float setup in the sump then Biff? hmmm maybe I should have taken a look in the DIY section for builds of this nature...hmmmm

Ok I know it is more than likely posted here some where already, I know I have read something about DSB. Now today, I was talking with a fella from where I will be buying my rock and sand and he is telling me that DSB is not really such a good idea, he said the new way of thinking is in a shallow base, more for show than anything, 1 to 2 inches was his suggestion, said if you go with anything deeper it turns into a nitrate trap with in 5 years! Anyhow, now I dunno which way to go...help....please....lol, I do that alot here. Also if I am going with the fiji pink from caribsea for LS would I want to mix something with a grain size of 0.5-1.2 or some thing a little larger like 1-1.7mm. thanks again for the help.

oh yeh....has any one heard of Vanuatu rock? J&L has some...very expensive but looks like very very nice rock.

Last edited:
It's up to you... A DSB is supposed to work really well at first, but you're right that over time, most tanks with a DSB experience "old tank syndrome" -- just a sudden and unexplainable crash. I would go with at least 2 inches of sand, especially if you are planning on having any burrowing animals like gobies or sand sifting stars.

my you are fast to reply biff, thanks...will go with a 2-3 inches sand base, any advice on the type/grain of sand, or does it matter much?

Im at about 2-3 in of sand, It will go down a bit too as the rocks sitting on the bottom fill with sand under the bases of the rock...

Update, rodi is hooked up, working on my first barrel of rodi water, will try my hand at mixing some salt water tomorrow, if the barrel is full! Along with the rodi system my test kits, heaters, thermometer, refractometer, nets, scrapers and salt. Expecting the refuge skimmer and return pump soon as well....now all I need is an aquarium, rocks and sand and I should be away with my first ever cycle!:bounce:

ok a couple pics.
IMG_0012.jpg

The new filter.
IMG_0015.jpg

Got in trouble for this...but she loves me so is ok now.
IMG_0017.jpg

First bit of pure water.
IMG_0018.jpg

current tank, LOL.
IMG_0020.jpg

ok thats it until the DT shows up.

Back