Putter's first tank

I would take that piece of metal off the end of the RODI unit. Having your new, clean RODI water flow through metal defeats the purpose of the filtration to remove metals.

yeh, could not find a plastic valve that size in this town anywhere!!! have one ordered and will swap it out asap.

Just a quick update, DT is now ready and on a truck heading my way, estimated arrival is next Tuesday:^: The refugium was shipped almost 2 weeks ago and I have finaly managed to track it down!!! As of Nov 19 it was in Richmond BC (about 20 hrs from me) it should be here by weeks end, along with it will be the skimmer and return pump. I have now replaced that metal bit on the end of my RODI water line that delivers filtered water to my holding tubs, it has been replaced with a kent marine float valve. Also arrived today, the pump that will feed fresh water to the ATO, wich is now sitting at the depot here (according to the fedex tracking) So if all goes well with the rest of the shipping I should have a tank filled with water, sand and rock by the end of next week:^::^: OH and of course more pictures! I would imagine there will be a few things that have been forgoten, I just hope nothing major that will prevent the start of the cycle period.:Cheers:

The refugium showed up, but no skimmer light or return pump :( The DT is held up in customs at the border :( and the LR I want won't be in until the 17th of Dec LOL but the plumbing is coming along well (sigh)

Ah well, an 18 hour drive one way, to frustrate myself with customs officals doesn't seem to sit well, LOL. The skimmer showed up today but the sedra pump is busted:frustrat: the housing where the venturi attatches is busted out, the venturi still fits in there but there is a small portion that will allow water to enter the pump with out having to pass through the venturi:grumble: purged the water lines that run from the storage containers to where the DT will sit, that went well, no leaks:bounce:. Also purchased the hospital/quarintine tank, and took a few more pics.

OK after several attempts to post pics to this post I must give up, I know it can be done but it seems muh brain is not going to work!! Can't blame it I guess, it has been at work since 04:00 this morning, and has to get up to work again tomorrow morning at about the same time, 6 hrs sleep may not cut it, I see a cat nap about noon tomorrow taking place LOL. Will try again tomorrow to post the boring pics.

Last edited:
Sign up for a Photobucket account to post pics. That's the easiest way. Then all you have to do once you have your pics uploaded to Photobucket is cut and paste the

Ok hope this works, if not oh well, nothing good for pics yet anyhow:D
ok the empty quarintine/hospital tank
hospitaltank.jpg

The refugium
refugium2.jpg

Some of the new plumbing
storagewater.jpg

The trash cans are storage for water changes and top off, I have piped the two containers to where the DT will sit so all I have to do is turn a valve when I am ready to replenish the tank after a water change and pump the contents of the container to the tank. The other container will hold fresh RO/DI water and be plumbed into an ATO system, with luck I should not have to worry about topping off the tank due to evaporation.

Ok so the tank is supposed to be here today, so I am going to go ahead and order rock and sand. Now the questions, deep water tonga, good rock to purchase? Substrate, from what I have read so far it is looking like the caribsea arag-alive special grade reef sand. I am shooting for a sand bed of 2-3 inches, will this particular substrate work well for this application? If not I am wide open to suggestions for either or both, rock and sand. Thanks in advance.

Back