RO/DI System?

Hiker4twenty

Reef enthusiast
I would like to purchase a RO/DI system today. I'm so sick of paying $1.19 per gallon of distilled water. I could have bought 3 RO/DI systems already for what I've paid in water. My question is what system to get? I'm going to purchase from the Pure Water Club P U R E W A T E R C L U B or Bulk Reff Supply http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/. They have many different systems available and I have no clue which one to get. I want to get a good one and do it right so money isn't really that much of a concern to me. Input/suggestions please!

Last edited:
They sell a 90GPD unit for about $90. It's on the Aquarium page - item # ROH-5B-5

Thats really all ya need. It will have a sediment trap - then 2 carbon filters - then RO membrane - then the De-ionizing canister. 5-stage unit for under $100. Thats a screamin' deal IMHO.

Depending on the pressure in your house you may need a booster pump. Most of the RO membranes require about 50-60psi to function at peak performance.

Hiker, I bought a r.o. unit from pure water but their tubing is cheap and will get loose and caused all kinds of leakage. I bought a unit from Filter Direct , its 100 gpd for 132. Try bulk reef suppy, air water ice, filter guyz. Its up to you!!!

I bought mine from Filter Direct. I have around $300 in my 6-stage dual DI unit WITH a 60psi booster pump. Best money I ever spent in this hobby.

Here is the system I purchased from PureWaterClub. It should be here by the end of the week.

Zero 0 ppm Reef 6st Reverse Osmosis RO+DI Water Filters#ROH-6B
[ROH-6B]$97.00
pixel_trans.gif
TR {FONT-FAMILY: "Arial", "Helvetica", "sans-serif"; FONT-SIZE: 12px; LINE-HEIGHT: 20px}[FONT=verdana,arial]We Ship From USA directly!

2-7 days* you will GET IT at HOME within US!!

FREE shipping
100 Gallon Per Day Reef 6 stage Reverse Osmosis

Zero 0 ppm Reef 6st Reverse Osmosis RO+DI Water Filters

(Retail Price:US$559)
Great Gift!
We Could Ship This Item To Your Friend Within US Continatal!
Good For Your Family And Friends!
Double DI. Double Performance!!
Fast !!
The new membrane let you get profuse flow restrictor

Economically !!

Waste/Pure water Ratio = 1.1~1.5 : 1
The new membrane let you drain less waste water

​
[FONT=verdana,arial]Product Spec: Brand NEW !!
Features: Uses with this itemUse most reliable name brand TFC (made in U.S.A.) Reverse Osmosis membrane
Include a GAC polishing post-filter AFTER the DI media to improve taste, odor and color
Combination unit, built in DI + RO system for ultra pure water use, that's double protection for you
Can be installed to any fresh water source for your aquarium and drinking water
Also for any application requiring ultra pure water like Reef, Aquarium, hydroponics, humidifier and jewelry cleaning
High technology to deliver the greatest quality water you deserve
Installs under your sink and works as a regular drinking water system, just turn the valves on and you have pure water
Easy to install this system, just like replacing a kitchen faucet
No more bottles of water to carry home
Your fish will say this is the best
Removes 99% of all Sodium, aluminum, lead, copper, arsenic, mercury, calcium, phosphate, iron, magnesium, zinc, chloride
, nitrate, silicate, cyanide, sulphide, nickel, silver, bicarbonate, manganese, ammonium, barium, chromium and Phosphates Removes 99% of all bacteria from your water
Water Purity Reference: (1.)Tap or well water(300 PPM), (2.)After RO system(20 PPM)---> (3.)After DI filter(0 PPM)

SpecificationsClear housings, on the one pre-filters
Our filters are industrial standard length in 10 inches, suitable most of RO system. .
If you could exchange your faucet by yourself, you could set it up easily.
The filter can work for 12 months and create the 2500-3000 gallons pure water
6 stage system Filter layout (Please Click Picture to enlarge the picture)
StagePictureFilterFunctionsReplacement15 micron PP
sediment filter
to remove dirt, sediment, rust and sand particles12 months2granular activated
carbon filter
to remove chlorine, chloramine, odor and chemicals12 months35 micron coconut
carbon block filter
to remove remaining chemicals, pesticides and protect your membrane12 months4TFC (made in USA)
100 GPD RO Membrane
to removes 98% to 99.99% of all chemical and harmful dissolved elements and 99% of all bacteria2 ~ 3 years5DI (De-Ionized) filter
nsf.gif
to remove hard water minerals
## Parts-2: Flow Restrictor##
22-409-P2.jpg

## Parts-3: Auto Shut Off Valve##
22-115-P3.jpg

## Parts-4: Filter Housing Wrench##
22-115-P4.jpg
[/FONT] </H2>[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]## Parts-5: RO Membrane Housing Wrench##[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
22-409-P4-1.jpg
[/FONT]

## Parts-6: Food Grade Tubing##
22-409-P5.jpg

## Parts-7: Saddle Clamp Drain Valve##
22-115-P6.jpg

[/FONT]

Dave i like that u bought one,so now u have to setup it and let me know how it works so i can buy the same one and u can come down my house and hook mine up and so me how it works,so i dont have to read anything and when i have questions i can jsut call u ... :helm2:

It took me about 3hrs and 3 trips to the store to hook mine up. :mrgreen:

But I was kinda picky about how I hooked it up since I'm an apartment dweller. I wanted mine to be easy to remove. I'll move some day and it needs to come out and not leave a mess behind when I move. I bought a Tee fitting and valve and a few other bits. When I eave it'll be outta there in 10 minutes and they won't ever know it was under there.

Took me a little head scratching - but it's not to hard.

Usually you'll have an inlet line that comes from the cold water line. Don't hook it up to the hot side - you'll ruin it.

And there's a drain line. Most of the time the drain line comes with 2 black pieces of plastic and a few bolts/nuts to make a saddle that can be strapped to your drain line. There's a piece of soft foam with a hole in the center. There's a hole in one side of the saddle. You pick a spot on the PVC pipe on your drain line and drill a 1/4" hole in it. Slap the foam over the hole. Run the drain line through the saddle and screw it all down. I took the pipe between the garbage disposal and the main P-trap out. It's a horizontal pipe about 15" long. Drilled a hole in the top of it and slipped it back in. I rotated it so the hole is on top.

Mine has a pump in between the carbon filters and the RO membrane. It just plugs into the wall.

Dave i like that u bought one,so now u have to setup it and let me know how it works so i can buy the same one and u can come down my house and hook mine up and so me how it works,so i dont have to read anything and when i have questions i can jsut call u ... :helm2:

That works for me MP. I'll def help you hook yours up. I don't think they'll be that hard. We can set it up right near your washer since the water lines are easily accessable.

It took me about 3hrs and 3 trips to the store to hook mine up. :mrgreen:

But I was kinda picky about how I hooked it up since I'm an apartment dweller. I wanted mine to be easy to remove. I'll move some day and it needs to come out and not leave a mess behind when I move. I bought a Tee fitting and valve and a few other bits. When I eave it'll be outta there in 10 minutes and they won't ever know it was under there.

Took me a little head scratching - but it's not to hard.

Usually you'll have an inlet line that comes from the cold water line. Don't hook it up to the hot side - you'll ruin it.

And there's a drain line. Most of the time the drain line comes with 2 black pieces of plastic and a few bolts/nuts to make a saddle that can be strapped to your drain line. There's a piece of soft foam with a hole in the center. There's a hole in one side of the saddle. You pick a spot on the PVC pipe on your drain line and drill a 1/4" hole in it. Slap the foam over the hole. Run the drain line through the saddle and screw it all down. I took the pipe between the garbage disposal and the main P-trap out. It's a horizontal pipe about 15" long. Drilled a hole in the top of it and slipped it back in. I rotated it so the hole is on top.

Mine has a pump in between the carbon filters and the RO membrane. It just plugs into the wall.

Chris,

I'm actually hooking mine up right next to my washer. The incoming cold water line is right there and I'll have it drain into where my washer drains as well. Couldn't be more simple for me....I say that know, but come time for the install I'll be cursing up a storm. :frustrat: I'm pretty handy so I should be ok. If not, you'll be reading some posts looking for advise.

Looks awesome!
I'm loving my filterguys.biz 5 stage setup. A ro/di is definitely one of the top things I've every bought for this hobby. You'll love it.
I also hooked mine up to my washer, but recently I ran the water lines up into the attic and over the garage which is right next to the laundry room. This way i have more room.

You can see the old here with the unit sitting in the cabinet above the washer.
446213039_BZz56-M.jpg

And the new location in the garage.
733378961_v76GF-M.jpg

Last edited:
Looks awesome!
I'm loving my filterguys.biz 5 stage setup. A ro/di is definitely one of the top things I've every bought for this hobby. You'll love it.
I also hooked mine up to my washer, but recently I ran the water lines up into the attic and over the garage which is right next to the laundry room. This way i have more room.

You can see the old here with the unit sitting in the cabinet above the washer.
446213039_BZz56-M.jpg

And the new location in the garage.
733378961_v76GF-M.jpg

Dennis,

I see you have the TDS meter. Mine didn't come with the kit. Would you suggest I purchase one?

I think having a TDS meter built in the line is a great idea. I have one also and it makes it really easy to see your water quality. Much easier than getting the hand held meter out. Lets you know when you need to change your filters.

Would you suggest I purchase one?

Definitely!
Like david said, makes life easy and they are cheap.
I might get a portable one too sometime soon though. I think they are more accurate and can be calibrated and sometimes I wished I was able to test the tank directly or test water that's been sitting in storage or whatever.

Last edited:
Back