Roberts Upgrade!!! 45 to 150 Thread

when i had a berlin skimmer i bought a coupling and thread pump directly to skimmer body to get mine to fit and it performed alot better also with no hose to travel through. nice setup

Update on my progress of the tank!!!I picked up 20Lbs of more liverock today.So thats 30Lbs of fresh liverock to seed the rest,and another 65Lbs in my other tank.
Picture024.jpg

Picture025.jpg

This piece had all kinds of little growth all over it.
Picture026.jpg

I had to take out some of the old rock,as i have way to much,still gonna have to take more out once the transfer of the other tanks comes around.

I also desided to hang my lights,Too much heat,and could not aquascape the tank or do anything.Its a good thing i put that shelf up.I have a drop down ceiling,so i just installed the lights off of that.
Picture030.jpg

So now,i just sit back,let the tank do its thing,and check the water.:D
Picture044.jpg

Picture042.jpg

This is what my livingroom looks like right now!!!
Picture022.jpg

Wish i could just leave it like that.:D

holy shit, i have the same light setup you have but i don't have the option to hang it. did you buy it like that or did you add something to be able to hang it?

Is it normal that all the rock is turning really brown and the Glass?Will that turn into green Algae?Also my water seems cloudy even murky today when i got home from work.Is this normal?It has always been clear to this point,but the last two days the rocks has been covered(seeded) like crazy.My skimmer has been skimmeing :pooh: out like crazy too.Should i maybe add a power filter(bio wheel) or canister to help out the skimmer?

It is normal. It will pass. Water changes speed the process of its passing. Scraping the front glass just puts the nutrients back into the water to break down and be used by new growth. Skimming is about the only mechanical help that you can provide. Brown algae does not necessarily mean you will be having a green algae problem. Your tank is like a child. It is growing up and this is just a pretty standard growth phase. If you want to be overwhelmed with information use your search engine and search for aquarium diatom algae. :shock:

why cant you leave the 45 up and running would lead to more options IMO but Im new and clueless. If you're taking it down could you use it for you refugium?

Well all my Nitrates and ammonia are sky high.The rock seems to be seeding really good.I also installed a ATO on my sump/fuge.
Picture061.jpg

I also got some new additions to my 45.
Sailfin Tang
Picture059.jpg

Picture052.jpg

Mushrooms
Picture047.jpg

Picture046.jpg

The float for the ATO needs to be in the return section of the sump (where your return pump is). That is the only part of the sump that the water level will drop in. If you leave it where it is, then you will never top off the water and your pump will run dry.

Everything else looks great, good job!

I would do a 25% water change and sit back and wait for a while. Typically the brown algae will come on as soosn as all nutrient requirements are met and will last untill nearly all silicate is used up, regarless of your lighting and good circulation. Green algae is not dependant on silicate as is brown diatom type algae. Green usually requires higher levels of all other nutients such as phosphate and nitrogen. Brown can use uo the excesss nutrients tsht would go into green algaes. Brown algae will not over take coralline or corals, as can green algae. If you have a good source of water, low in phosphate, nitrogen and silicates water changes will speed the brown algae phase typical to many new tanks. Kalkwasser as a top off water will precipitate your phosphates and shorten the brown algae phase also. Biffer is very definately right about your float valve for the ATO, your pump will run out of water from evaporation before your float calls for top off water with your present set up.

Last edited:
Update!!The tanks doing great,no leaks.I just tested my water this is what i got.

Ammonia -0
Nitrite-0.3

I also changed the auto float around.Its working better and i used a gravity ATO.
Picture077.jpg

Picture081.jpg

The float vavle came from a Auto shut off kit on Ebay.I was gonna use it on the Thrash can,Buts its a nice float and would be better for a sump.

Back